Green Computing Technology
What is at stake
Computing uses large amounts of energy. The amount of energy used worldwide by servers (alone), amounts to 1% of the world’s total electricity usage. From 2000 to 2005 – a five year period - the energy used by servers doubled. It is predicted that by 2010 the amount of energy used by these servers would have increased by up to 70%.
This is only for servers, the figure for personal computers is likely to be higher as we had over 870,000,000 PCs in 2005 and the predicted number last year was over 1.1 billion.
Such use of energy is unsustainable and contributes enormously to green house gas emissions.
Think also of the amount of computing hardware we have all around the globe. This equipment is made of some of the most toxic and dangerous chemicals. The worst part is that most of the equipment has very short life spans – sometimes less than three years. The hardware is not being properly disposed of, ending in landfills, third world countries, etc. So ultimately the toxic chemicals which are in this hardware end up polluting the environment.
What is being done?
Non-governmental organizations, Governments, Multinational corporations are now joining the move towards GREEN IT or Green Computing. Which is a completely new environmentally friendly and cost-effective way of power usage.
Businesses and individuals are being called upon to:
- Reduce the amount of energy used in their computing needs
- Start Using green(er) or more sustainable energy sources
- When replacing their IT infrastructure, to buy more Earth-friendly IT infrastructure - in terms of the energy they consume and the material from which they are made.
- Adopt more environmentally friendly practices.
Green computing Technology
Some of the tactics you can use to achieve the some of the goals listed above include:
- Virtualization, (visit VirtualizationGuide, a virtualization blog, to find out what virtualization is and how it can help you save cost and gain strategic advantage),
- Telecommuting and ,
- Power Management for example using more energy efficient devices (visit Energy Star to see how you help save the environment, by using energy more efficiently)
Well you may be asking what is in it for me? Apart from helping save the environment, you will also save yourself some money when you "go green" with green computing Technology.