- Computers & Software»
- Computer How-Tos & Tutorials
How to Change Windows XP Boot Screen
Tired of the old windows XP boot screen logo? I will show you how to change your windows XP boot screen to the "XP pirated edition" boot screen or any other one of your choice manually without using any third party software.
To do this firstly you need to download a boot screen of you choice (or just Google them).
Instructions for changing Boot Screen
Now follow the instructions given below to change your windows XP boot screen.
- Unzip the file or extract the file you downloaded.
- Open the following directory C:\WINDOWS\system32.
- locate ntoskrnl.exe.
- If you are unable to find it then follow this step otherwise skip this: ntoskrnl.exe might be hidden so to unhide it go to tools>folder options>view and then check the box labelled show hidden files and folders.
- Copy and paste this file at the same place in the same folder.
- Rename the pasted file to ntoskrnl.exe.bak this will create a back up if anything goes wrong.
- Now shut down and open your pc in safe mode by pressing F8 when your pc starts.
- Once you are in safe mode open the directory where you extracted you original boot screen file in step 1.
- Copy the file called ntoskrnl.exe from the extracted files and paste it in the system32 folder of your windows. Make sure you overwrite it with the original ntoskrnl.exe file.
- Then move the ntoskrnl.exe.bak file which you copied from the system 32 folder to another folder other then windows folder.
- If you are using xp service pack 1 use ntoskrnlsp.exe.(if you use the ntoskrnlSP.exe you have also to rename it to ntoskrnl.exe)
- Reboot and enjoy.
- If any problem occurs you can always reboot in safe mode and fix it.
- In case this does not work you can always replace the original ntoskrnl.exe from the back up file so feel free to try this!
Feel free to comment if you experience problems.
© 2012 StormsHalted