- Computers & Software»
- Computer How-Tos & Tutorials
How to run Two Hard Drives on One Connector
To run two hard disks on one IDE connector or to have a CD-Rom and Hard disk on same connector you will need to perform Jumper Setting.
A jumper is a tiny piece or a socket located at the back of every hard disk drive and CD-Rom. After jumper setting you will be able to set one drive as master and other as slave.Follow the instructions given below to configure two HDDs on one connector.
- locate the jumpers at the back of each hard drive.there are five jumper sockets located at the back of each HDD (five on IDE drives and three in SATA drives) between the IDE connector and power socket.
- Pull them out with the help of you thumb. You will find a small notch on top of every jumper to hold it.
- Take the hard drive you want to select as master hard drive (the one which contains boot partition) and insert the jumper in first socket from left.
- Refer to the picture given below for help.
- Remove any jumpers from the drive you want to set as slave.
- Install the IDE connectors.
- Make sure that the socket which is at the end is connected to master drive and the one in middle is connected to slave drive.
Do Not install two jumper in one drive unless specified it is not recommended for beginners.
The above setting will not change either you want to run two HDDs or a CD-Rom or HDD, It is recommended that the CD-Rom be set as slave.
If you have any issues feel free to comment and ask.
© 2012 StormsHalted