How to Bypass iPad and iPhone Activation Lock for Free
When Apple unveiled IOS 7 in 2013 it also introduced a new security feature to help deter theft and assist in locating lost and stolen iPhones and iPads. It is called Activation Lock and is closely tied to the Apple ID. Until today it has remained part and parcel of new iterations of IOS firmware.
Activation lock comes into life as soon as Find My iPhone is enabled in the iPhone or iPad.
Once it is up and running, therefore,
- a thief should not be able to use stolen iPad or iPhone.
- you can use the iCloud website or other Apple device to remotely wipe out data in the stolen iPhone.
- you are able to send a message or tone remotely, alerting the person with your device that it is misplaced or stolen.
Steps to Bypass iCloud Lock Screen
The good news is that you can bypass the lock if you somehow forgot your Apple ID, or purchased one that is attached to another Apple ID, unknown to you.
Use any one of the following steps to kick-start your rescue mission:
- The eMail Address Configured in the mail app.
- Apple ID reset.
- The previous owner.
- Apple Enterprise Support or Genius Bar.
- Third-party services.
1. Use the e-Mail Address Configured in the Mail App
If you have an iPhone whose Apple ID password is unknown to you but one whose Home screen you can still access, use the mail app to reset the Apple ID.
Assuming the mail address attached to the Apple ID is active and accessible via the mail app, simply ask to reset the ID.
- Go to Settings, and tap iCloud.
- Tap on the email address attached to the Apple ID.
- You will be prompted to enter the password.
- Enter three wrong passwords.
- iPhone will prompt you to reset the password.
- Tap Reset Password.
- You will be the related AppleID email address.
- Click Next at the top right.
- You will be prompted to choose between email reset and answering of security questions.
- Choose Reset by Email.
- Password reset email will be sent to the email inbox.
- Go to the mail app and follow the link to reset the password.
- Tap Reset now and you will be shown a new window where you will enter a new password, twice.
- You will be alerted that your Apple ID password has been changed.
- If everything works according to plan, you should now have a new password with which to access the Apple ID account.
- Then you can log out of the account and create a new one.
Remember this only works on the iPhone or iPad whose Apple ID account is active in the mail app. ONLY MAIL APP please!
Also of note is the illegality of using an email address you do not own. Only do this with permission from the owner, or if it is the only option.
2. Reset Apple ID and Password by Answering Security Questions
You can reset the Apple ID if you have forgotten only the Apple ID password The online Apple reset procedure should be helpful.
Head over to iForgot Apple ID page and feed in your details to reset your Apple ID password. The automated system will help you reset your password.
To reset the Apple ID,
- Follow the procedure illustrated above until when shown the email address.
- Instead of tapping Next, tap Forgot Apple ID? instead.
- You will be walked through the steps to recover either the email address or password to your Apple ID.
The following are preconditions for you to reset Apple ID online and on your iPhone:
- Know the answers to Apple ID security questions.
- Have access to the email address associated with your Apple ID.
If you still remember the password to the email address attached to the Apple ID in question, simply ask to reset the password and you will receive an email prompting you to reset the password. Very simple.
The situation is different when you forget an individual Apple ID or buy an iDevice locked to an Apple ID belonging to another individual. The Enterprise support does not apply in this situation and recourse for you may lie with the fellows at the Genius Bar.
Just in case you reside near one such bar, say your prayers and walk in. Make sure to carry proof of purchase, or else you may have frustrating walks ahead of you.
Unfortunately, even with proof of purchase, encounter with the Genius Bar team may not be helpful always.
Ultimately, you may have to find a way to reset the Apple ID or make use of some other solutions as explained below.
3. Use the Previous Owner to Bypass Activation Lock
As an informed precaution, always check out the Apple ID status of the iPhone or iPad you plan to purchase.
To find out the Apple ID status of your soon to be iPhone, navigate to Settings>Generally>iCloud
Make sure no account is listed under iCloud, and that Find My iPhone mode is Off.
If an iPad or iPhone lists any email address, then it is still attached to someone else. Get it removed first.
If that person is next to you, use the email procedure illustrated at the beginning of the article, to log out of the present account, and create a new one for yourself.
You can also use the opportunity to erase iPhone settings to factory state.
To do this, navigate to Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings.
- He or she will be asked for the passcode and Apple ID password to do this.
If the person is away from you, he or she can log into the iCloud page and disassociate the device in your possession from their iCloud page.
You can as well do it using that person's Apple ID details, using the mail app or browser as illustrated at the beginning of this article.
- Inside the iCloud page, click or tap on All Devices and then the device in your possession. Make sure the device is offline. You can turn the Airplane Mode On under Settings.
- Below the listed Apple device, you will see the word Remove.
- Click on it to disassociate the iPad or iPhone.
If however you cannot get the device image to display, scroll through the All Device list and click the X symbol besides the device to be removed. (see image below) This should also disassociate the device from that person's iCloud account.
- iCloud will warn you that the device will be usable by another person in future.
- Click Remove to deactivate the Apple ID.
4. Contact Apple, for Enterprise Support or Genius Bar
If you registered for an enterprise account, Apple Enterprise support and Genius Bar should be the first line of rescue if you have messed up your Apple ID.
Following the introduction of Activation Lock, Apple also launched Device Enrollment Program (DEP) and Apple Configurator for enterprise support.
The DEP setup which permits centralized registration of all enterprise iPads and iPhones under Mobile Device Management is aimed at educational and similar institutions.
All iDevices are managed under an administrator who can remotely disable Activation lock if required.
When DEP is deployed on an iPhone, it will generate a special bypass code every time its user activates Find my iPhone.
This way, the administrator can bypass any assigned Apple ID and redeploy the iPhone to another user.
A scenario where a disgruntled employee or runaway pupil activates Apple ID, is handled under this arrangement.
5. DoulCi Unlock
Doulci unlock which was active and reliable in the middle of 2014 is unavailable as of now. Do not be duped by anyone claiming it works even in 2017!
6. Chronicunlocks Activation Lock Bypass
Chronicunlocks charges about $150 to help bypass activation lock on your iPad and iPhone.
Interestingly, they ask for the email address attached to your Apple ID and as illustrated in the solutions above, you can use the same, to bypass the activation lock in the comfort of your sofa.
Why not do it at home?
Do you think third party sites should be able to bypass Apple Activation Lock?
Have you had any luck with iCloud activation lock bypass from DoulCi?
© 2014 Alfred Amuno