How To Get Yahoo Email Working With Your Samsung Moment
When you first get your Samsung Moment, there is an app preloaded with Android 1.5 called "Email". When I had my Mytouch 3g, I was able to sign in and get imap email from Yahoo without a problem.
Since canceling my contract with Tmobile and going with Sprint, getting yahoo mail to work was tricky. I've tried logging into the mobile version via the browser but that became such a waste of time. There has to be a better way. Luckily I found a way!
If you try to sign into your yahoo email through the "Email" app, you will get an error that says, "You may not have a paid 'Plus' account..." This is because Tmobile users are granted access while Sprint users are denied from accessing their email from this app.
There is a way to get yahoo mail to work without having to go through your browser. Follow these steps and you'll have access to your inbox in minutes!
- Go into the marketplace and search for "k9"
- You will see 3 results. Download "K-9 Mail"
- Follow the prompts and install the software.
- Open K-9 Mail, hit menu and "add account".
- Enter your email address, password.
- You're done!
K-9 will configure IMAP support and set POP3 for outgoing mail. It's easy. You can add more accounts if you'd like.
Be sure to make your yahoo mail account your default. If you want to save some battery life:
- hit "menu", "More", "account settings"
- scroll down to "Folder poll check frequency" and set
it to "every 30 minutes" or higher.
- Checking your folder every 5 minutes can put a huge stress on your battery. Depending on how urgent your email is, I find checking every half hour to be more than adequate.
Having used the stock Email app on my Mytouch, I definitely prefer K-9 Mail's interface over Email. In the past where I've had problems downloading attachments with Email, K-9 didn't give me any problems.
If you are on Sprint and can't seem to get Yahoo! Mail working on your Android phones, try K-9 Mail. It's a fast and easy solution and it will only take you a few minutes to fix!