How To Jailbreak IPhone 4S 5.1
The following article will detail how to jailbreak an IPhone 4S running firmware version 5.1. It is important to note that your best possible back up method when jailbreaking is manually saving all your important information to disk and then later restoring to the device via a service software utility.
If you chose to do a fresh wipe to stock prior to install it is in ones best interest not to accept any 'backup of files ' or the 'saving of' any 'operating system credentials' prior to flashing to stock. You always want to ensure no 'stock data' will be pushed back to the device once it has been converted to a jailbroken state. Also note, staying away from stock itunes backups, as this can cause unpleasant firmware crashes. Most importantly, never attempt to restore an IPhone to factory settings within the settings menu. This will almost certainly bootloop the device and in some cases can cause irreversible damage.
Keep in mind you will lose any data stored to the device. So again, it is recommended to save important files and meaningful data prior to initiation.
The next section will list credentials relevant to this article.
This article deals with the following specifications:
- IPhone 4S
- Version: 5.1.1
- Firmware: 2.0.12
- Flashing Environment: Windows 7 x64 Operating System
The procedure has been successfully performed with an IPhone 4S running firmware version 5.1.1, flashed within Windows 7 on x64 bit operating system.
If you experiencing issues running Redsnow attempt to configure compatibility mode by right clicking Properties and selecting "Run in XP compatibility mode"
- You will first need to download a copy of RedSnow 0.9.12b1 from the links portion above.
- Ensure your device is correctly configured with your computer machine and all drivers are properly installed. Obtain a current copy of ITunes to ensure driver compatibility with your machine.
- Once your device is recognized by your computer and the redsnow package file has been saved to disk, extract the contents to your desktop for quick access.
- In the folder locate 'redsnow.exe' Right-click the file and select 'Run as Administrator'
- If you're using an older version of Windows and experience issues running the software, navigate to Properties, under the 'Compatibility' tab select 'Run in Windows XP Compatibility'
- Plug your device into the computer via USB
- Run the software and select 'Jailbreak'
- Follow on-screen instructions if prompted to enter DFU mode. Otherwise select 'Cydia' from the list of credentials supplied on the following page. Select Continue. The rest of the process is automated, once complete the phone will power-cycle. The procedure is now complete.