How To Make Google My Homepage
How To Make Google My Homepage
There's nothing handier than opening a browser and instantly having it ready for a search. Making Google your homepage is smart and simple to achieve, in this article we'll deal with how to do it with all major browsers. Please scroll down until you find the browser you're currently using and follow the relevant instructions.
Please note that if these steps don't seem to "stick" when restarting your browser you may have picked up a malicious or unwanted application (spyware, virus, malware or BHO). Removing it can be a hassle but there's lots of free software which can help you get rid of them (for more information please check the end of the article).
Making Google your homepage on Internet Explorer v6 and later:
- Open the browser and click on the tools option.
- Under tools open Internet Options.
- Under the general tab insert the following value as your homepage "http://www.google.com".
- Replace ".com" with any localized version of Google you want. For instance, if you live in Italy you could add the ".it" extension.
That's it, you're done!
With Mozilla, the process is even simpler (one less step than Internet Explorer). This works with versions 3.6 and on.
- Open the browser and click on the tools tab.
- Under tools you'll find the general tab (click on it).
- Select the show my homepage menu and enter "http://www.google.com", or any other local extension you want.
- Click on and restart the browser to test your new settings.
And now to my browser of choice!
- Click on the wrench icon on the top right of your browser.
- Click on options (it should be in the last section at the bottom).
- In the "On startup" section at the top select the option "Open the home page".
- Type "http://www.google.com" in the "Home Page" section directly below it.
- Close and restart to test your new settings.
For all you Mac users, here's the long and short of it.
- Click on the Safari menu.
- Click on preferences.
- Navigate to the general tab.
- Enter "http://www.google.com" under the Home Page section of the options.
- Close and restart the browser to test your new settings.
If These Steps Aren't Working...
If the aforementioned steps aren't working you may be dealing with a virus of some sort. My advice would be to follow these steps and claim your browser back:
- Install an efficient free anti-virus solution and keep it regularly updated.
- Install and update a free spyware remover (such as Lavasoft's nifty free Adaware or Spybot Search and Destroy).
- Install and update a free third-party firewall solution (Comodo, Zonelabs). Do not rely on Windows' firewall to keep stuff out.
- Check frequently for new operating system updates.
- For advanced users, the free program Hijack This! is a fantastic way of seeing what's going on behind the scenes.
This concludes this concise article on how to make Google my homepage! I hope it did just that, please feel free to use the comment section below if you're having problems or wish to offer criticism. Thanks in advance!