How to Unjailbreak iPhone and Remove Cydia Apps and Tweaks
If you want to unjailbreak iPhone and uninstall Cydia apps in order to speed up your iPhone, it will require you to do IOS restore of some kind. You will have two options to choose from.
- Partial iPhone restore to remove Cydia apps and tweaks. This is easily done via a command line terminal like iLex Rat.
- Complete restore of the IOS firmware in order to remove all traces of Cydia apps and tweaks. This type of restore is done through iTunes. It is only by complete iPhone restore that you will achieve the stock iPhone OS state.
iPhone jailbreak may lead to crashes and slow response over time. This particularly so, if you have experimented with many Cydia apps and tweaks.
Partial iPhone Restore
Several procedures allow you to semi restore your iPhone to the state when it last operated optimally. It lets you uninstall Cydia apps and tweaks.
Amongst many software options, you can install iLEX RAT and use the mobile Terminal from Cydia to remove all traces of Cydia apps and tweaks from the iPhone. iLEX RAT supports iPhones running IOS firmware 5.X to 7X.
NOTE: The RAT in iLEX RAT stands for Remove All Tweaks.
NOTE: Another popular application that can help deliver partial restoration for your iPhone is called Semi-Restore. However, the latest version of Semi-Restore can only work with IOS 5 through to IOS 6.1.5.
iLEX RAT is capable of removing all jailbreak apps and tweaks but maintains Cydia and your jailbreak status intact. It can repair and re-install Cydia, reset IOS and icons, and only remove Cydia apps.
In order to help clean the iPhone further, it will remove all data in it. A reminder there to backup important data before using iLEX RAT. You will be able to restore your data from backup later on.
In order to use iLEX RAT you will first install myrepospace from Cydia and then install the mobile Terminal.
How to Install iLEXT RAT
- Tap the Cydia app in your iPhone to open it.
- From Cydia taskbar, tap Manage, and then Sources.
- Tap Edit at the top of Sources page.
- When the listed repositories show the red edit buttons on their left, tap on Add that appears at the top left of the page.
- Type the URL cydia.myrepospace.com/iLexInfo/ in the space provided.
- And that will be all.
How to Install Mobile Terminal
The iPhone mobile Terminal can be installed straight from Cydia.
- Simply tap on Cydia and from the taskbar, tap the Search tool.
- Type mobile Terminal and once located, install it.
- Notice that mobile Terminal will show as MTerminal.
The iLEX RAT and Terminal apps should now be visible on the home screen.
How to Remove Cydia Apps and Tweaks Using iLEX RAT and Terminal
- Tap on the Terminal app and you should see a command line interface.
- You will be shown brief guidelines on using tap zones.
- Tap on Later or Dismiss to clear the screen.
- Now type rat on the space that shows up.
- The Terminal will now list twelve tweaks that are possible via iLEX RAT
- Choose what works best for you and tap Return on the iPhone keyboard.
- The 0 option allows iLEX RAT to remove all Cydia apps.
- Option 12 allows you to effect a near-complete restore. It will however not affect the iPhone jailbreak and the Cydia app. This should be the preferred choice for a one-time restore.
- So enter 12 and tap Return.
- Upon iPhone reboot, you will have a clean and fast iPhone, almost as good as new.
Full iPhone Firmware Restore
You can however, do a full iPhone firmware restore via iTunes if you are fed up with IOS jailbreak and Cydia apps. Sometimes the feel of any jailbreak tweak just drives you crazy, and it gets works when buggy Cydia apps begin playing tricks with your iPhone. Then it is time to go for complete iPhone restore.
This restore will take your iPhone back to the state it was when you purchased it. Doing this is essential when you intend to walk back to the Genius Bar for whatever reason.
How to Unjailbreak iPhone Using iTunes
Just in case you need to restore your iPhone to stock firmware that came with your iPhone, you will have to use iTunes.
This type of restore will erase the content of the iPhone, including jailbreak and Cydia apps and tweaks.
- Install the current version of iTunes and connect your iPhone to the computer.
- Select iPhone from the top right corner.
- On the next page, click Restore iPhone.
- iTunes will prompt you to backup the data in your iPhone.
- By making an informed choice select from Cancel, Backup and Don’t Backup. . Remember that all jailbreak data will not be backed up.
- iTunes will again remind you that all data will be lost when the iPhone is restored to factory settings.
- Click Restore to proceed.
- If all goes well, the iPhone will be restored to factory settings without a hitch.
- At boot up you will be asked if you want to restore the iPhone to the backup that you saved earlier on, or set up the iPhone as new.
- Make your choice once again.
Follow the link below to find out more about iPhone restore.
- How To Restore iPhone Firmware And Backup
iPhone restore is used to mean either re-installation of iPhone firmware or re-installation of iPhone content that was backed in the computer or iCloud. iPhone firmware restore can be done using iTunes or through jailbreak tools like Redsnow.
Other Ways to Restore a Jailbroken iPhone
You can also choose to manually delete Cydia apps from the home screen, including Cydia itself.
By deleting Cydia and apps though, you will still have Cydia and apps running in the background. And if you were running away from crashes and slow iPhone, then you will now be having an even bigger problem.
Remember that Cydia must be present before applying iLEX RAT and other jailbreak troubleshooting tweaks.
Cydia should therefore be the last jailbreak app to see the door if you intend to do any manual un-installation of apps and tweaks.
If you are up for this kind of restore, then let me walk you through the process!
To do this:
- Open Cydia and tap Packages.
- You will see all apps and tweaks you have ever installed in your iPhone.
- Select a jailbreak app to remove and tap Modify.
- You will receive options to Reinstall, Remove and Cancel.
- Tap Remove.
- Do this for all installed Cydia apps.
- Finally, uninstall the Cydia Installer itself.
Do you believe that iPhone jailbreak is still relevant today?
Why You Should Not Jailbreak Your iPhone
- Why Not To Jailbreak Your iPhone, Now That IOS 7 Features Rule?
The birth of iPhone jailbreak was prompted due to lack of compelling features in the original iPhone. Developers like Dev Team helped develop jailbreak tools to create tweaks and apps which beautified and made IOS more exciting. Over time, Apple chos