- Internet & the Web»
How To Start A Blogspot Blog
Creating A Blog Site
Blogger is a Google company and to start you will need a Google account. I'm assuming you have one in this tutorial, but if you don't just go to Blogger.com and click the 'Sign Up' button in the top right corner. From there you can set up an account.
Now you're all signed in and on the Blogger home page click 'New Blog' on the left hand side. A new window will pop up.
I start with entering the Address. It can take a bit of patience to find a name that is available because Blogger is so popular! Blogger will automatically tell you if your chosen name is available. By default your address will be YOURBLOGNAME.blogspot.com (the end made differ depending on your country...for example mine would end .co.uk)
Once you have an address put in your Blog Title~ this will be what is shown at the top of your blog.
Choose any template for now as you can choose another, customise or upload your own later and click 'Create Blog!'.
By default the Blogger template you start with will be very simple and basic.
This is easily altered in the Blogspot Template Designer without the need for any coding knowledge.
Whilst the default templates are very good, they are not unique and if you want your blog to do well it needs a look of it's own, that reflects your blog's niche and style.
Be careful downloading third party templates. They may look good, but many include malicious code that could at best damage your Google ranking.
The menu on the Blogspot dashboard is easy to navigate and understand:
- New Post~ a quick and easy way to start a new blog article
- Overview~ gives you a brief look at your latest traffic and news from Blogger.
- Posts~ where you can view, edit and delete any of your blog posts.
- Pages~ are 'static' articles and will not show as part of your blog posts. Pages are useful for 'Contact' and 'About' details as they appear in your menu.
- Comments~ where you can view, delete or mark as spam any comments made on your posts.
- Google+~ where you can associate your Google+ account with your blog for easy sharing.
- Stats~ shows number of views on each post and page, how your visitors found you and where they are from.
- Earnings~ being a Google company you can quickly configure Google Adsense and affiliates on your blog to make money from your traffic.
- Layout~ where you can add, manage and edit gadgets to your sidebar(s), change your favicon and header.
- Template~ where you can choose, customise and upload your own template to create a unique look for your blog.
- Settings~ where you can edit how the blog runs. Includes blog title, description, buy a unique domain name and lots more.
You Now Have A Blogger Blog
To be really professional I recommend adding your own domain. You can buy them cheaply. I got mine through GoDaddy for just £2.49!
So you are now ready to blog! Any of the settings and templates can be changes whenever you want~ though be careful about changing them too often or you may find followers get annoyed and leave.
I'd love to see what blogs you create, so please tell me about them below!