- Consumer Electronics & Personal Gadgets»
- Portable Electronics
How To Take Time Lapse Photos With A GoPro Camera
Got a GoPro camera? Do you want to know how to take time lapse photos with a GoPro camera? Well this article will show you the basics and walk you through the steps on how to do so. Its actually very simple and the results can be very breath taking.
GoPro cameras are perfect for shooting time lapse photography because not only do you have the wide angle, fish eye lens, but because you can leave it out in any weather condition because they have a waterproof housing. Also the picture quality and resolution are incredible and they keep getting better with each and every model.
Below is the list of steps and how to set up the GoPro camera for time lapse mode. The steps shown are on the GoPro Hero 3+ models but you can easily do it on the other GoPro models also, it is just a little different.
Set Up Your GoPro Camera.
- Turn on camera by pressing the front face button
- Press the front face button and scroll to settings (wrench icon) then press the top button
- Press the front face button and scroll to resolution mode (grid icon) then press the top button. Press the front face button and Choose from 12mp wide, 7mp wide, 7mp med, or 5mp med. Then press the top button. (I usually use 7mp wide)
- Press the front face button and scroll to time lapse settings mode (clock and camera icon) then press top button. Press the front face button and select the time interval. Choose from .5 sec, 1 sec, 2 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec, 30 sec, or 60 sec and press the top button.
- Press the front face button and scroll to exit settings (exit icon) and press the top button.
- Press the front face button and scroll to time lapse mode (clock and camera icon) and press the top button.
- You are now ready to take time lapse photos with your desired settings!
Take your time lapse photos.
- Place your GoPro camera on a stable platform or tripod.
- Aim the camera at your subject whatever it may be
- Press the top button (Shutter) to start capturing images.
- Come back after some time and proceed to step 3.
Edit your images. (I recommend GoPro Studio and its free)
- Open GoPro Studio and import the images from the camera
- Review the clip (GoPro Studio automatically puts the images and converts them to a movie and speeds up the clip to cause the time lapse effect)
- Click advanced settings to modify the specifics if desired
- Add clip to conversion list and click convert
- Select a template that you would like (I use blank) and edit
- Drag the movie to the timeline
- You can then change the speed, add effects, and adjust settings if desired
- Save your project
- Click export
- Name your project and click save
- Wait for it to export (may take some time depending on the settings and your computer)
Your all done! Publish your time lapse and share it with your friends and followers!
Check out the recent one I did of California storm clouds. Very simple but cool. (video below)
Thanks for reading. I hope this helped. Please Like and Share. If you would like feel free to subscribe to my brand new YouTube channel: OutDoor Adrenaline and keep up with all the time lapse videos I am going to be publishing.
OutDoor Adrenaline YouTube channel is all about the outdoors. We feature time lapse photography of nature as well as videos about hiking, fishing, mountain biking, skateboarding, and even drone arial photography. Plus many more outdoor extreme sports.