How to Block Email From Unwanted Senders on Mail 6.2 for Mac
Automatically Delete Unwanted Email on Mail 6.2 for Mac
I get thousands of emails every day. Recently I was trying to find a video on something for my daughter and unwittingly added my email address to dozens of sites. Suddenly I was getting emails from everything from home loans to car window tinting. No matter how many times I hit 'Unsubscribe', the emails kept coming.
Fortunately, blocking these emails so that you never have to see them again is simple.
Simple Steps to Automatically Delete Unwanted Messages
- In your list of received emails, select an email from the sender you want to block.
- Click on Mail (top left of screen) and select Preferences from the drop down menu.
- Click on Rules (far right of the little box that pops up).
- In the box for description, give your email rule a name. This is so that if you want to change/edit it at a later date, it will be easy to find.
- In the box next to "If" select "Any" or "All" depending on your needs. I select "Any", since I want to delete anything to do with this email address. If you are worried about something you want being deleted, select "All". This means that it has to be from and containing the email address you are blocking, not either/or.
- Then from the drop down menus below this, select "From" and "Contains". The email address you are trying to delete should already be in the next field if you have selected an email from your list.
- From the drop down menu under "perform the following actions" select "Delete Message".
- Then Click Ok.
Mac for Dummies
- You can add more email addresses to this same rule if you like by clicking on the "+" button next to the email address already added. This will bring up a new row for you to add another address. Otherwise, you can create a completely new rule by repeating all the steps above.
What if I Want to Change My Mind?
- If you want to change your mind about emails you've chosen to delete, go back to Mail, then Preferences and Rules again.
- You will see your Rules in a list. Chose from the buttons at the side to Edit or Remove the rule.
I hope you find this helpful.