How to Bypass Windows 7 Password and 'User Profile Service Failed the Logon' Screen
If you are locked out of your computer for one reason or another, you can take advantage of several hacks to bypass the logon credentials and get your PC up and running again.
The first option involves using the inbuilt password recovery tool known as password reset disk in Windows 8, 7, Vista and XP.
For password reset disk tool to work though, you must have created it when you first created a logon password to your computer.
Unfortunately, only a handful of home users ever do this and the majority will thus not use this option.
Besides forgotten Windows login passwords, the 'user profile service failed the logon' screen is another annoying login nightmare.
Somehow, when a user account profile gets corrupted for one reason or another, Windows will load a temporary account as a result, and thus barring you from logging into your account, even with the right login credentials.
The corrupted user profile error will pop up soon after you type in your account password.
Hacks to Bypass Windows 7 Password and 'User Profile Service Failed the Logon' Screen
The following solutions should come in handy when faced with hindrances above:
- Command Prompt password recovery
- Administrator account user account bypass
- Ophcrack Live CD password recovery
The troubleshooting dialog screens may vary a little in different versions of Windows but the procedures are basically the same.
1: How to Bypass Windows Login Password Using the Command Prompt
This simple procedure will help you change forgotten login password and you don’t necessarily need to be a geek to use the command line interface. You only have to type in a couple of characters on the command prompt.
For these commands to work though, you will need to have a copy of Windows installation on CD, DVD or flash drive. Make sure to get installation software that matches the one running in your computer.
Note: In case your computer does not have an optical drive installed, create a Windows 7 bootable USB drive using a tool like Rufus.
In this example, we shall use Windows 7 computer to illustrate how to bypass the forgotten password.
• The Steps:
- Start by booting into the Windows 7 DVD or flash drive. Find out what key combination are used in order to make your computer boot to the DVD or flash drive. Most computers today will boot to optical drive by pressing the F12 key.
- When prompted, press any key on the keyboard to boot from your device of choice.
- In the Install Windows screen, press Next to continue and Repair your computer in the screen that pops up.
- Windows will attempt to locate the operating system in your computer and once it is listed, press Next to continue. Make sure to note the Windows drive location. The Windows drive in our illustration is d:\
- Windows may attempt to repair your operating system or not.
- Whatever the case select Command Prompt in the next screen.
- Yo will now have to copy the utilman.exe file to another location for safe storage.
Note: Utilman.exe is the Ease of Access shortcut which is represented by an icon located at the bottom left of the logon screen. Utilman.exe is designed to help troubleshoot logon problems. For example, you can enable the On Screen Keyboard to aid in typing the user password if your computer keyboard malfunctions somehow.
Since we do not need to use this tool for now, we can temporarily replace it with the Command Prompt tool which will help us fix the password problem.
- To copy the Utilman.exe file to the root folder D:\, type:
copy d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe d:\
Note: This command will copy the Utilman.exe tool to the root drive d:\, where it will remain until Windows password recovery is done.Remember to reverse the above procedure after you are done using the Command Prompt. Simply copy the Utilman.exe back to its original location i.e.
copy d:\utilman.exe d:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
- Next, replace the original utilman.exe file with the cmd.exe file. To do this, type:
copy d:\windows\system32\cmd.exe d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe
- You will be prompted to overwrite the utilman.exe file.
Type: y to overwrite.
- Now type: exit and click Restart to reboot your computer, this time without booting to the DVD or flash disk.
- When the computer loads to the logon screen, click the Ease of Access button.
(The action will now ridirect you to the Command Prompt tool)
- You may want to start by finding out the current user accounts in Windows.
- On the Command Prompt, type:
- Like shown in the image below, the available user names will be listed.
- In our example, there is one user name AA with administrator rights.
- Next, create a new password to overwrite the one you forgot. To do this, type:
net user AA 00000.
- The five zeros in this example represent the new password.
- Type: exit in the Command Prompt to close the command line interface.
- You will now be back to the login screen with the user AA still asking for a password.
- Type in the password you created a moment ago. In our example, I will type in 00000.
- And that should be all.
- If you followed the instructions to the dot, your account should now be accessible using the new password.
2: How to Bypass Windows 7 Password Using the Administrator Account
This simple hack is helpful when you want to log into your computer without the limitations of other user accounts that are password locked.
The administrator account may also be helpful when your computer displays the User Profile Service service failed logon screen. This error will happen when Windows decides to log you into a temporary account as a result of corruption in your main account profile service.
Usually restarting the computer should help fix this problem but if the error persists, you may have to bypass your account by using the administrator account.
If however your computer has a second account, use it to troubleshoot the corrupted account. You do not need to enable the administrator account in this case.
The purpose of using a second or administrator account is to allow you repair the inaccessible account or transfer its files to another one.
Enable Administrator Account Using the Windows DVD
In this example, we shall use Windows 7 computer and a Windows 7 DVD or prepared flash drive.
• The Steps:
- Follow the steps outlined in the previous example until the step where you are to access the Command Prompt via Ease of Access icon.
- After you have opened the Command Prompt tool via the Ease of Access button, simply type:
net user Administrator /active:yes
and press enter.
- If you did everything correctly, you should receive confirmation message that the command completed successfully.
- That is all.
- Type: exit and press enter to restart the computer.
- The Administrator account should show up in the next logon screen.
- Click on it to log in and start troubleshooting the corrupted account.
Enabling Administrator Account without the Windows DVD
You can also enable the administrator account without owning a copy of Windows operating system. However, you should know the password to the active but inaccessible user account.
This method is helpful when faced with the User Profile Service Logon error, where you cannot access your account even with the correct password.
• The Steps:
- Start your computer and press the F8 function key just when Windows is about to launch.
- Choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt in the screen that appears and press Enter.
- Click the active account to log in and you will be prompted for its password. You will not need a password if the account does not have one.
- Type in the password and Windows should log into the Safe Mode command line interface.
- Type the following onto the Command Prompt:
net user administrator /active:yes
and press Enter.
- If you did everything correctly, you should see confirmation that the command completed successfully.
- Restart the computer and the administrator account should be visible in the next logon screen.
Note: Do not forget to disable the Administrator account after you are done using it.
To do this:
- Type: cmd in the Search programs and files box (Start button) and press Enter.
- The Command Prompt window will show up.
- In it type:
net user administrator /active:no
- This should reset the Administrator account to default. (read disabled)
How to Troubleshoot Corrupted User Profile Service
Note:You can also repair this error by simply logging into your account using the basic Safe Mode which appears when you press the F8 Function key. You do not necessarily have to be in the administrator account to do this!
After you have successfully logged into the administrator or secondary account, you will have two options to get your account up and running again.
You can repair the corrupted user profile service in Windows registry or create a new user account.
Important to note is that any secondary account should have administrator rights for you to make administrative changes.
• Repair the corrupted user profile service failed logon
Follow the registry repair instructions from Microsoft to get your account back on its feet.
Follow the instructions to the dot and your computer should be fine a few minutes later.
Whereas you may choose to repair Windows registry in order to repair the corrupted user profile, you may not permanently stop the error from re-appearing.
Furthermore, tinkering with the registry should be done correctly lest you mess something up. Always backup the registry before trying to fix anything inside it.
• Create a new account and transfer your files
If repair of the registry is not for you, or if it fails to deliver results, or if the user profile service error re-occurs soon after, you may want to create a new user account in its place.
You can use the following instructions to create a new user account:
- Click the Start button in Windows 7 and choose Control Panel situated in the right pane.
- Head over to User Accounts and Family Safety if your view setting is in Category mode,
- Or click User Accounts if the view is in Large icons mode.
- In the next window select Manage another account, then Create a new account.
- Fill in the name of your new account in the space provided and click Create account.
- You can choose between Standard and Administrator accounts. Remember to select Administrator if you wish to make changes to the computer. Read the help notes provided to guide you.
Which method would you prefer when troubleshooting the User Profile Service Failed Logon Error?
- Now that your new account is created, click on its icon to create a new password.
- After you have created a new password, close Control Panel pages and restart the computer in order for Windows to register the new user account
- It is now time to copy files from the old user account.
- Go to the Users folder in the root of c:\ (or wherever you have this folder) and copy the files from the old account to the new one.
- Remember to avoid the user Temp folder which was created by Windows as a temporary user profile.
- That should be all folks.
Edit User Profile Service Error Via Safe Mode
3: How to Bypass Windows Password Using Ophcrack Live CD
Of all third party Windows password recovery tools, Ophcrack stands out tall. It is a free open source software that uses hashes and tables to crack about 99.9% of Windows passwords.
Ophcrack can be run as a Live CD in a CD or flash drive from where it will rummage through your computer for all user account passwords. All you have to do is stick in your boot device and let it run.
You actually do not have to press anything and on completion Ophcrack will display all available passwords. All you have to do is note down what you are interested and use in the next logon screen.
• The Steps:
- Start by booting into the Live CD by pressing F12 or other relevant key.
- Select Ophcrack Graphics Mode – Automatic or it will auto select in 10 secs.
- Ophcrack will load right up to the desktop.
- depending on the number of user accounts, Ophcrack may take up to 10 minutes before displaying their passwords.
- Note down the passwords on a paper and reboot the computer.
- At the next logon use the password you noted down.
- You should now be able to log into your account.