- Internet & the Web
Step by Step Guide/Instruction to Create a Google E-Mail (Gmail) Account (with images)
Gmail is one of the leading e-mail providers in the Internet today known for being very user friendly. When you create a Gmail address, you are also creating a Google account which gives you access to a lot of Google services, like Google+, Google Drive, and YouTube. A Gmail account is definitely a must-have for every Internet user.
I know that there are lots of Gmail account creation tutorials online, but most of them are outdated and may seem complicated for a beginner.
Creating a free Gmail e-mail account these days is easy and straightforward. In the following article, I would explain the process of setting up a new Gmail account step by step.
Go to the Google homepage (http://www.google.com). You will see that you are in Google's search homepage. Assuming that no Google account is currently logged in, you could press the Sign in button (top right). If you do not see the Sign in button, click the currently active Google account and press "Sign out".
You will be greeted with the sitewide Google sign in page. Instead of entering an e-mail address and a password, click Create an Account (bottom center).
You should now see a form where you could fill in the required information.
- Name: Write your name (e.g. John Doe). This would be used in order for you to be identified by the people you would send e-mail to.
- Username: This will also be your e-mail address. (e.g. johndoe) If you use johndoe, people would be able to e-mail you at email@example.com
- Password: Google requires at least 8 characters. For security reasons, it's best to use a password with a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters. But, of course, you should not overdo it. It should be something you will remember.
- Birthday: Select your birthday.
- Gender: Select your gender.
- Mobile phone: Google uses your mobile phone for verification purposes. Also, in the event that you do forget your password, SMS verification is one possible way so that you could regain access to your account.
- CAPTCHA: Type the words to prove that you are human.
- Location: Select your current location for personalized experience. Google might offer some other services just for a certain area/location.
- TOS: Read the terms of service first before checking it.
Then press Next Step to continue.
At this point, your new Gmail address and Google account has been created. Congratulations! You may now press Get Started.
Once you press "Get Started", you will be redirected to the Google homepage. Now, however, you can already see your account in the upper right side. Nice work! To open Gmail, click the link on the topright corner.
Because it is your first time to use Gmail, a short guide to Gmail use would be presented to you. Here you will see how Gmail differs to other webmail services, if you have used any in the past. After reading these information, you can now press Next.
You will now be redirected to your inbox.
From here, you could do a couple of different tasks:
- You could click "Compose" and start e-mailing your family, friends, and colleagues, informing them about the new e-mail address you have just created.
- You could read the three e-mails in your Gmail inbox that can be found by default and learn more about how Gmail is used.
- You could check the handy account setup guide at the bottom of the page that provides you with a variety of options. First, you could decide to customize your Gmail interface by choosing a theme or by uploading a new profile image which you can also use later in Google+. You could also opt to import contacts and mail from old e-mail addresses. Finally, you could setup Gmail for mobile using the Gmail app or using the built-in Mail applications in both iOS and Android smartphones and tablets.