How to Do a Funny Shutdown Computer Prank With Message
Creating a Shutdown Prank
Wouldn't it be fun if a friend of yours uses your PC or laptop, clicks on My Computer on the desktop and suddenly a pop up appears with a weird message and it shuts down!
Well I am gonna teach you how you can do exactly that!
Creating a shutdown prank is pretty simple actually as you'll see in the next couple of minutes.
You can do it on your friends laptop as well, trust me it's a fun prank and takes just a few minutes to set up.
This will not harm your PC or laptop in anyway, it's just a shortcut shutdown Icon ( shutdown.exe ) like the one on your Start button. You can delete it whenever you want.
Creating a Fake Shortcut for Your Shutdown Prank:
For those of you who do not know how to create a fake shortcut icon, follow the following simple steps:
- Right click on your desktop.
- Put your mouse over the 'New' option, from the options given, select 'Shortcut'.
Creating a Fake Icon for Your Shutdown Prank
Entering the Shutdown Prank Code:
Once you click on 'New Shortcut', a window will pop up requesting you to enter a location (i.e for what software or program you would like to create the shortcut for).
In the box given to enter the location, enter any one of the following codes to create your shutdown prank icon:
- Shutdown Prank Icon: shutdown.exe -s -t 60 -c "Enter a Scary or Funny Message Here"
- Restart Prank Icon: shutdown.exe -r -t 60 -c "Enter a Scary or Funny Message Here"
- Lock Prank Icon: rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation
- Hibernate Prank Icon: shutdown.exe -h
- Logoff Prank Icon: shutdown.exe -l
- Abort Prank Icon: shutdown.exe -a
Copy Paste only the code starting after the ( : ) eg:"shutdown.exe -l" without the (" ") of course.
For the shutdown and restart prank you can enter a personalized message that will pop up before the person's PC or laptop shuts down or restarts.
An example is given below:
Shutdown Prank Code
Naming the Shutdown Prank Icon:
- After choosing the type of prank you want to perform, click Next.
- Now in the box given enter a name for the icon.
- You obviously wouldn't wanna name your icon as "Shutdown" or "Prank".
- So let's name it "My Computer", since that's the icon people click on the most.
- Once you have named the icon, click on Finish.
Naming your Shutdown Prank Icon
Default Shutdown Prank Icon ImageClick thumbnail to view full-size
Your default icon will look like something as shown as on the image on the side.
We now need to change this icon into the "My Computer" icon (or whichever icon you have named it as) to make it look realistic.
Before we do this, delete the old "My Computer" icon (or whichever you've decided to use) that is currently placed on your desktop, so that we don't end up deleting the wrong once later, or if you forget to delete it later, the user might delete your "new" icon by mistake or even get suspicious.
Changing the Image of your Prank Shutdown Icon:
To change the icon from the default image follow the steps given below:
- Right click on your newly created shortcut icon and click on Properties.
- Now under the Shortcut tab, click on Change Icon.
- You will get a pop up message, click Ok.
- You will now get a pop up with various icons, select an appropriate icon for the shortcut you've create and say Ok.
- Click Apply and then Ok.
Your shortcut Shutdown Prank icon (My Computer) is all set now.
Create official looking icons, which people usually tend to click on.
You can set a timer for the shutdown and reboot functions.
- shutdown.exe -s -t 60 -c "Enter a scary or hilarious message here"
- shutdown.exe -r -t 60 -c "Enter a scary or hilarious message here"
The ( -t 60 ) is the timer function, you can change 60 to 5 (default is in seconds).
Remember to delete the previous existing icon before you start.
Create various prank icons, so your guaranteed that the person will click one of them at least.
Your Final Prank Icon
Have you tried it and has it worked?
- Do no do this to a public computer or at an institution, school lab, etc.
- I am not responsible for any damages that you may cause.
- This may be considered illegal in some places as well.
And well for the rest, I am happy to solve any queries that you may have, please write down your queries, suggestions or comments below and I'll get back to you asap.
© 2013 Paiva