How to Enable Parental Restrictions on iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
Enabling parental restrictions on an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch is ideal if you want to keep your children from accessing content or performing tasks they shouldn't on their device, or if you want to restrict functionality for friends you let borrow your device. You can enable parental restrictions for your device through the Settings app on your device in a few quick taps.
The Process for Enabling Parental Restrictins on iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
- Tap the "Settings" app on your device's home screen to open the Settings screen.
- Scroll down to the third section and tap "General" to open the General screen.
- Scroll down to the fourth section and tap "Restrictions" to open the Restrictions screen.
- Tap "Enable Restrictions."
- Input a 4-digit passcode and then enter that same passcode again. This passcode will be required if you ever want to disable any of the parental restrictions that you're setting up.
- Tap the ON/OFF toggle to the right of any apps beneath Allow until OFF appears for any native apps you want to not make available to people using the device. You can also control whether users are allowed to install or delete apps.
- Scroll down to the Allow Changes section.
- Tap "Location." From here, you can select whether or not to allow users to make changes or not to Location Services features. If you allow them to make changes, you can further select what apps they can adjust the Location Services functionality for.
- Tap "Accounts" beneath Allow Changes. From here, select "Allow Changes" if you want users to be able to modify your Mail, Calendars and Contacts apps.
- Scroll down to the Allowed Content in the Restrictions screen.
- Tap "Ratings For" and then select the country that you want to use the rating system for.
- Tap "Music & Podcasts" and then set the ON/OFF toggle to OFF if you want to not allow people using the device to play music and podcasts rated Explicit.
- Tap "Movies" and then place a check mark to the right of movie ratings that you want to allow be played on the device.
- Tap "TV Shows" and then place a check mark to the right of TV show ratings that you want to allow be played on the device.
- Tap "Apps" and then tap to place a check mark to the right of the Apple age rating that Apple places on apps; apps in line with those ratings will be played on the device.
- Tap the toggle to the right of In-App Purchases to ON if you want to allow users to make in-app purchases.
- Tap "Require Password" and then set whether users should be prompted for your Apple ID password every time they make an in-app purchase or no more than 15 minutes from the last time they made a purchase.
- Scroll down to Game Center.
- Tap the toggle to the right of Multiplayer Games and set it to ON if you want to allow users to play multiplayer games on your device.
- Tap the toggle to the right of Adding Friends and set it to ON if you want people using the device to be able to add friends in the Game Center.
- Press the "Home" button to save your changes, which will be applied instantly.