How to Encrypt or Password Protect USB Flash Drive Using TrueCrypt (Step by Step Instruction with Screenshot)
In this hub I'll be explaining how to Encrypt or Password protect your USB flash drive of an external hard disk with the help of TrueCrypt
You can go to the download page of TrueCrypt and download it. It is supported on Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000 , Mac OS X and Linux
Okay now you have downloaded it and installed it open the TrueCrypt
Steps To Follow
- Once you have opened the TrueCrypt click on the Volumes option on the top left.
- Then select Create New Volume option
- Once you've clicked that, it will take you to TrueCrypt Volume Creation Wizard
- Select Encrypt a non-system partition/drive and click next
- In Volume Type you can either select Standard TrueCrypt or Hidden TrueCrypt volume, I've selected the standard tc volume
- once you click the next button you'll be asked to select the required Partition or Device, Select your device
- Click next and in it will take you to Volume creation mode, if your volume is empty go with the Create encrypted volume and format it, or if you already have data in it select Encrypt partition in place and click next
- In Encryption options you can select your favorite Encryption algorithm and hash algorithm, I've kept it the default one.
- Next you'll be asked to provide a password for your encrypted drive. Make sure it is long and hard to break by including special characters and numbers
- Start the encryption
How to open the USB device ?
To view the contents in your encrypted device all you have to do is open the TrueCrypt and Click on the "Auto Mount Devices" and enter the password.