- Computers & Software»
- Computer Software
How to Free Up Disk Space on Windows
Windows computer has come as a blessing for most of us. This is one of the prime operating systems that we choose to work on. It has without fail introduced us to a new world, where digital life has got a huge space.
After giving so much to the humans (especially non-techs), does this outstanding operating system should be given something in return? Well, yes!! A little care and maintenance are all that is required.
Often there are times when you see your windows system stops responding. You might be nagging that your computer is not good or lags a lot and hamper your work. This all somewhere comes down to us. After all, it's the humans who are operating this gadget.
Your windows computer is too, carving for appropriate disk management and good look after. Low disk space forms a huge problem in this. Apart from this, malware and virus are a hurdle for your computer to not work smoothly. Therefore, to relieve yourself and your computer, you must know about how to free up disk space. Scroll down and explore a few ways to do so.
- Uninstall the Unused Apps: There must be many applications that you must be using on your system. With these apps, there also must be a few that haven’t been of any use since installed or may be for a while. You must uninstall these programs and applications. These are for nothing but just eating your memory.
Uninstallation of a program doesn’t need a technician. You can proceed with this simple task by going to control panel on your system. Then find ‘programs’ and ‘uninstall a program’. Right, click on the programs that are not in use and uninstall them.
- Use Disk Cleanup: You might not be aware, but your windows PC come with an inbuilt disk cleaner. This tool is known as Disk Cleanup. Disk Cleanup cleans disk. It scans and come up with all dump files. This may include temporary files, error files and other unnecessary ones which occupy space in your system.
To run Disk Cleanup, you need to go on the start button. Click on all programs and find accessories in it. Further, go to system tools and there you will find Disk Cleaner. Now select the drive that you want to clean and run scanning. Disk Cleaner will give you details of all the redundant files. Check them and let Disk Cleaner clean them for you.
- Delete Temporary Files: Every time you use your windows system, many temporary files are automatically formed. These files are generally of no use but find their space in the system memory. These should be eliminated to keep the system healthy, with every use.
Delete these files by pressing windows and r key. Then type ‘temp’, ‘%temp%’ and ‘prefetch’ one by one and shift+delete all files that these 3 folders contain. This will free up some memory on your disk. Regular practice of deleting temp files optimizes PC performance and increase disk utility.
- Increase the Storage: The underlying problem is low disk space. This is what makes your computer lag. This precisely happens, when it’s overloaded with data and number of operations at any point of time. Well, it is essential that you take care of this aspect. At first, avoid using and opening many tabs at a time. Apart from this, you can also increase disk space. This can be done by adding more RAM, or using external drives. You can also use one drive to keep all important documents safely and free up system memory.
- Use Cleaners: There are many disk cleaners which perform this whole set of functions for you. These cleaners detect, and clean all duplicate, obsolete and unused files that need not, to be in your system. You can any time refer to these cleaners. I would suggest Disk Analyzer Pro. This performs all these functions in instants and makes all complicated tasks easygoing.
Other than this, there are many other cleaners which can be used. But before you use any of them, make sure that you have researched about it well, so that you don’t end up getting a sad one.
These are some of the tips to keep your system healthy and safe by freeing up disk space from it. Disk utility plays a crucial role in proper functioning of the windows system. Therefore, make it a prime focus to take care of it.