- Internet & the Web»
- Social Networking
How to Get More Followers on Twitter - for FREE!
How to get more followers on Twitter
One of the first questions that comes to mind once you start using Twitter is, how to get more followers on Twitter? Coming from my own experiences and research, I've compiled a list of Twitter tips and resources to help increase your Twitter followers.
For the many different ways we can utilize Twitter and leverage our Twitter followers. Whether you want to increase your Twitter followers for promoting, increasing traffic, business, networking, bragging rights, branding or etc... The more targeted Twitter followers you have, the better.
However, it's not always a numbers game, it's more about the quality of followers you get. A 100 loyal Twitter followers who share similar interests and interact with you, would be better than having 2000 Twitter followers who are either squatters or have no interest in your tweets, right?
How to get more followers on Twitter
Here are 25 ways to get more followers on Twitter:
1 . Leverage the Profiles you already have - leverage the profiles you already have (online) and (offline). Do you have a business, Facebook, blogs, websites, or etc...? Then link to your Twitter feed. Add a link or place a widget that shows your Twitter feed onto your sites, blogs and other social media accounts that you may have. Add a link to your Twitter feed in your signatures for your emails and forums. If you own a business, then make sure you let people know they can follow you on Twitter. This works well, if you've noticed lately, just about every major company adds a "follow us on Twitter @____" on every advertising method they use, including radio and t.v. ads.
2 . Provide Value - Have you ever heard the term "give before you try to get"? In the internet marketing world we hear this term quite often because without following it, there won't be any long term success. Basically means, before you can get something in return from someone else, you need to provide some kind of value and enhance their lives in someway. If you want more Twitter followers, then provide beneficial tweets (informative, humor, entertainment, experiences, ground breaking news, etc...) Unless you're Lady Gaga or APLUSK, then you better add some value to your tweets. ;-)
3 . Be yourself - Do you like imposters or tweets that are similar to everyone else's? (rhetorical question) No one else does either. Don't be afraid to show people the real you. Like the wise old saying goes ("when in doubt speak from the heart"). You can create a bigger impact on someone if you speak from the heart and by being genuine. Adding some personality to your tweets can help lighten the mood, let's people get to know the real you and separates your Tweets from everyone else's. The more genuine relationships you make on Twitter will lead to more opportunities and referrals for you in the future.
4. Be Conversational - Just like Problogger
said, he gets more Twitter followers the days he interacts with other
Twitter users. Probably the best way of doing this is by asking and
replying to questions. Every time you reply and someone sends a reply to
you, your Twitter ID is seen on their Twitter feeds, which gives your
Twitter ID exposure, potentially to thousands of different Twitter users
who may follow you back. A conversational tweet usually gets more
attention and has a better chance of someone replying back. The more you
make your tweets relevant to other people, not to vague, and something
they can relate to, the more responses you'll probably get. Example: "who watches tv" (bad) compared to this "Who won America's Got Talent last night" (good).
5. Tweet Often
- The more active you are on Twitter increases your exposure to other
Twitter users. Your Tweets show up on the Twitter Public Timeline, so
the more tweets and interaction you do on Twitter the better chance
another Twitter user will see you and follow you. But leave time for a
response and create space for reactions. Make sure you are (tweeting at peek times), like early mornings, evenings and maybe afternoons. Also, keep in mind the different time zones people maybe in too. Tweet to often and adding no value in many of your tweets will probably get you unfollowed. You gotta find a good balance.
6. Use Keywords in Your Tweets
- If you enter specific keywords in your tweets, then you're tweet will
showup whenever someone does a search and enters those keywords. Also,
many people have their Twitter accounts set to find people automatically
for specific topics and keywords. This can help you to get more Twitter
followers with similar interests and be exposed to them.
How to get more followers on twitter using tools
7. Twitter Software - Twitter can take a lot of your time and effort to maintain on a daily basis. Twitter software can help you use Twitter much more efficiently with more features than you probably even knew existed. Also known as a Twitter Adder, you'll be able to get Targeted Twitter followers much quicker, and can automate your Twitter accounts. If you want to take Twitter to another level, I suggest you invest in a good Twitter software. Some of them even offer Free Trials.
8. Use Pictures - Just like the saying goes "a pictures is worth a thousand words". A tweet that includes a picture gets more attention and interaction from other Twitter users. Twitpic is a site that can easily be plugged into your Twitter account and allows you share pictures on Twitter via your computer or phone. Your pics can bring you even more exposure to your Twitter ID, especially if people share your pictures to others.
9. Use Video - What better way to connect with Twitter users than by adding a video to your tweets. Twitvid allows you to share videos easily on Twitter. Just like pictures, a good video can bring a lot of exposure to your Twitter ID when people watch and share it.
10. Twitter Tools and apps -There are so many Twitter apps and tools that can help you get the most out of Twitter. Standout, make Twitter easier to use and get more out of Twitter by using and installing some of these Twitter tools.
11. Tweet from your Cell Phone - There's no better way to be current and interact on Twitter than Tweeting from your cell phone. This allows you to tweet on the go and tweet about things as they are happening. Here are 12 Twitter apps for your phone. Bored standing in the DMV line all day, pull out your phone and do some tweeting.
12. Be Interesting
- Don't be boring, even if you're tweeting about what you're doing,
there's a way to be entertaining about it. Be witty, creative and
standout with your tweets. A lot of Twitter users who get a lot of
followers are usually positive, inspirational and know how to bring a
smile to someone's face.
13. Twitter backgrounds - One of the first steps to making your Twitter page interesting, personalized, and standout is to add a really cool Twitter Background. There are so many different Twitter backgrounds to choose from. They are really easy to create and install.
14. Follow other twitter users - Following Twitter users, usually leads to them following you back. It also can give you exposure to some of there twitter followers. Just find some Twitter users with similar interests or that you find interesting and follow them.
15. Utilize the twitter features - Like the search feature, instantly see tweets on any given topic and connect with similar minds. Enter a discussion on the latest (trending worldwide) topics or by using #hashtags, which can be found on the sidebar. These are HOT current topics Twitter users are talking about. Get more Twitter followers and exposure just by utilizing the FREE Twitter features.
16. Retweet - Use the retweet feature on any tweets you think would be beneficial to others. Most people will appreciate your retweets and may return the favor by retweeting some of your tweets. This can help increase your exposure and chances of getting some new twitter followers.
Tips on how to get more followers on twitter
17. Don't make your tweets all about yourself, but tweet all about them.
18. Be Inspirational - throw out a few inspiring quotes or stories everyday. People dig these type of tweets on Twitter.
19. Follow someone else's Twitter followers - It's really quite simple, find someone with a lot of followers, (an authoritative figure?) who has similar interests as you, and follow their Twitter followers. A good percentage will follow back. Easily get a thousand new targeted Twitter followers just by doing this in a week.
20. Use #Hashtags and @replies frequently. Gets a lot of attention and interaction going.
21. Stay on Topic - If you do have a Twitter account that's just for a specific niche, then make sure you rarely go off topic. People will start associating you as an authoritative figure for the specific niche and follow you on Twitter because of it.
22. Tweet Great Stories - Include a link or attribution to the story in your tweet. It could be a great blog post, hub, forum thread, article or etc..
23. Attention Grabbing Tweets - pretty much for the same reasons it's important to have a Killer title for an article, your tweets need to be eyecatching. The more attention your tweets get, then the more chance of getting more followers on Twitter. It's all about wording, symbols and link placement. Experiment a little, you'll get it down. Or copy the same format for the Tweets that grab your attention.
24. Be Useful and helpful - Share information that others could benefit from too, special offers, contests, rebates, helpful sites, etc...
25. Help others to get more Twitter followers - One thing I see quite a bit is people referring others in their tweets. In fact Twitter has a day for it called "#followfriday". If you think someone is worth following, then tell others about them. Example: These are great people to follow @username, @username2. People will appreciate this and may return the favor.
I hope some of these Twitter tips and resources will help you to get more followers on Twitter. If anyone has anymore tips, then please leave a comment. I will try to add more Twitter tips continuously. If you found this Hub helpful, please share (or tweet it). :)
Image credits - 50 free Twitter Icons they are really cool and free, go download them.
You should now have plenty of ideas to answer the question, how to get more followers on Twitter? Thanks for stopping by.