- Computers & Software
How to Keep a Window Always on Top on Your Desktop
Keeping a Window on Top Using DeskPins
When working on a document, its useful to be able to position another window always on top of the active window. This saves you having to constantly switch backwards and forwards from one application to another. For example you could be working on a document and need to keep the calculator on top. Another scenario is if you are working on a document and want to transcribe from another document or reference some information on the Web. Now the usual way of doing this is to resize the windows so that they fit onto the desktop side by side or one above the other. However a better way is to pin the window so that it always appears on top. A useful little utility which enables you to do this is DeskPins.
Where Do I Download Deskpins From?
Deskpins is freeware and can be downloaded from here: http://deskpins.en.softonic.com/
How Do I Install DeskPins?
- Click the download button on the Softonic website. The download message box appears automatically after a few seconds. Select the save option and save to the desktop for convenience. If you don't have your browser setup to prompt you for a download location, the file will be downloaded into the default location.
- Run the downloaded file. If you don't want to install all the extra bundled software paraphernalia, firstly check the "No thanks" option on the dialog after selecting the user agreement and then check the custom installation option. Uncheck the "Download and install PC Performer" option and click on "Next". This downloads a zip file to your download directory or desktop.
- Open the zip file and run the DeskPins 1.30 setup.exe file.
- When the setup program runs, you can choose whether to start the program with Windows and if a start menu entry should be added.
- Pick an installation folder and allow the installation to proceed.
How to I Use DeskPins to Keep a Window on Top?
Once DeskPins is installed, it adds an icon to your taskbar at the bottom of the screen. To pin a window on top, all you have to do is click on this icon. This changes the mouse cursor to a pin. Click on the title bar of a window and it becomes pinned and always stays on top. A "pin" stuck into the title bar shows that the window has been pinned. To unpin the window, just click on this "pin".