How to Renew your Driving License in Kenya Online Using eCitizen Portal
How to Renew your Driving License Online
We have to appreciate that Kenya is moving pretty fast towards computerization or digitization as many are saying. Most of the transactions that used to take days are now being processed within minutes. It is now possible to renew your driving license online.
This hub details how to renew your driving license online from the start point to the finishing point. It is an easy thing to most people with computer knowledge while it might be a challenge to some. Well you do not have to worry because you can visit any cyber café for assistance.
Driving License Renewal Online
Procedures to Follow When Renewing Your Driving License Online
- You will have to create a user account on ecitizen portal. eCitizen is a portal for you to access information and services provided by the Kenyan Government.
- Once the ecitizen portal opens, you will click on register now button to create your account. Choose the appropriate option among Citizens, Business, Residents and Visitor. Registration is a four stage process.
- Enter your National Identification number (ID No.) and your first name and then click on verify. Your details plucked from your ID will appear.
- The next stage is to register where you will input your email address and create a password that you will be using to log in to the ecitizen portal. Click on continue.
- The next stage is to verify your email. You will have to open your email and click on a link that will have been sent to it.
- After clicking on the link, your email will be verified. You will also be required to verify your mobile phone. Enter your phone number and click on verify now. A code will be sent to your phone. Input the code on the box provided and click verified.
- Once your mobile phone number is verified, you will be taken to the next stage where you will be requested to upload a recent passport. Do so and you will have created your account successfully.
Verifying ID Number
National Transport and Safety Authority Services
Once you are done with the initial registration, the portal opens and shows you the available tasks you can undertake. These are:-
- National Transport and Safety Authority Services
- Office of The Attorney General and Department of Justice Services
- Department of Immigration Services
- Ministry of Land, Housing & Urban Development Services
You will click on the first one or National Transport and Safety Authority Services. It is offering the following services, applying for a provisional driving license, book a driving test, getting a driving license, paying fees and tracking your application.
Mobile Number Verification
Driving License Renewal Online
Click on Driving License Renewal link where it is written “You can now renew your drivers license online, pay using mobile money services of your choice and print your renewal slip. You will need your Ref no found in bracket in C of C in your driving license page 1.”
Read through the useful information that they have provided:
“If you would like to find out your driving license details you can always check by using the following process.
Send the word ‘DL’ to 22430 to subscribe
Then dial *512#
Type in your ID Number / Passport Number (The Number you used during the application for the DL) OR
Type in your Driving License Reference Number.
Then Click on send you will be charged 6/= for the service.”
Note: This is not a must if you already have your details ready.
How would you rate the eCitizens Portal?
Driving License Renewal Fees For 1 Year
Application fee (DL renewal 1 year)
Driving License Renewal Fees For 3 Years
Application fee (DL renewal 3 years)
Paying for Renewal of Driving License
At this stage you should have money in your Mpesa account equal to the amount corresponding to the renewal period you want. Click on apply now. Note you can also make payment using any of the other methods provided.
On the new form that appears type in the reference number which is the C of C number found in brackets on your driving license. Type it in capitals and do not type the brackets. Select the renewal period you want which is either one or three years and submit.
Paying for Driving License Renewal Online
Review Your Driving License Information
Another page appears where you can review your entry. This stage is crucial because you need to check if the names are alright and the renewal period you have selected. If you are satisfied the details are alright, click on submit.
On the next page, you choose the payment method you want and then follow the instructions given to make your payment. Once you receive notification that they payment has been done successfully, click on finish on the computer.
Print Your Driving License Renewal Slip
If the last procedure is successful your license renewal slip will be generated automatically. Print it, cut it into size and stick it on your Driving license and you are good to go. It does not require any stamping.
Was this information useful?
How to create an eCitizen account for Kenyan Citizens
© 2015 Patrick Kamau