- Consumer Electronics & Personal Gadgets»
- Portable Electronics
How to Troubleshoot LeapFrog Epic Problems
The LeapFrog Epic tablet is a rugged, durable tablet built specifically for kids that comes pre-loaded with a variety of games, ebooks, and apps. Additionally, the tablet curates all of the content accessible through the tablet to ensure that there is no way that kids will have access to any inappropriate content. The tablet features a 2-megapixel camera, 16 gigabytes of storage, and a wealth of options for parental control. The device runs on a modified version of the Android operating system. If you're experiencing any of the following common problems with your LeapFrog Epic tablet, try working through them on your own before giving up on the tablet.
Can't Install Apps
The button to install previously purchased apps won't be available if a software update is required for this app. Follow the instructions in the Update Software/Firmware section to update the software on your LeapFrog Epic device.
Tablet Won't Turn On
- Try charging the device and see if it comes back to life. It sounds silly, but because this is a tablet for use by kids, kids may be prone to leave the device on when they are done rather than shutting it off.
- If the device was put in Sleep mode rather than being shut down completely, it's possible that the device hasn't been used for a few days, and over that time the battery became drained. While slow, the battery does drain while in Sleep mode.
- If the device was powered down after its last use, make sure you're holding the Power button down to turn it on rather than just tapping the screen to try and wake the device up.
How many hours per week do your kids spend on a tablet?
Can't Connect to Wi-Fi
- Ensure that you're using the correct password for the wireless network you're attempting to connect to.
- Make sure you're in range of the wireless router you're attempting to connect to.
- If your router is a dual-band wireless router, make sure you're looking for the 2.4-gigahertz band to connect to. The 5-gigahertz band won't appear, as the LeapFrog Epic doesn't work with that band.
LeapFrog Epic Not Responding
- Hold the "Power" button down to force the LeapFrog Epic to shut down, then restart the device to see if the issue is resolved. It's possible the device just locked up and the only option is to force quit.
- Check for dirt and other grime on the device's screen to ensure it can clearly recognize your touch. A build-up of dirt or water can make it impossible to sense your touch through the debris.
How to Find LeapFrog Tablet Parent Lock Code
DRM License Seems Corrupt
Don't panic. This error can present when attempting to view purchased video content on your LeapFrog Epic tablet and the device isn't connected to a wireless network. This issue should resolve after connecting the tablet to a wireless network.
If you've exhausted all other options and you're still experiencing problems with your LeapFrog Epic tablet, wipe the device and restore it to the default factory settings. Additionally, it's a good idea to restore the device's factory settings before selling the tablet to ensure that whoever owns the tablet doesn't have access to any financial information or wireless networks you set up on the device.
- Tap the "Parent" icon and then enter the parent passcode.
- Choose "Device."
- Tap "Device Settings."
- Choose "Reset."
- Select "Factory Data Reset."
- Choose "Reset Tablet." The factory reset process will begin, and the device will restart to the same screen you were presented with the first time you started the device.
A lot of issues can be resolved by updating the LeapFrog Epic tablet to its latest version. Additionally, updating the system software can also improve existing functionality, introduce new functionality, make the battery more efficient, and close holes that hackers may take advantage of. You can update the software on your LeapFrog Epic tablet by connecting your device to an outlet to make sure it doesn't run out of power and then doing the following:
- Tap the Parent icon in the upper-right corner of the tablet's login screen, and then enter the parent passcode.
- Tap "System Info."
- Choose "System Updates."
- Install any available updates on the following screen. The tablet will download and install the update, and will restart after those updates have been installed.
© 2016 Max Dalton