- Consumer Electronics & Personal Gadgets»
- Portable Electronics»
How to Troubleshoot LeapPad 2 Problems
How much screen time do you give your children per week?
The LeapPad 2 by LeapFrog is an educational tablet-style device built to help kids learn. Educational apps can be installed on the device so kids can feel like they're using something comparable to tablets for adults, such as the iPad or Kindle Fire. However, like adult tablets, the LeapPad 2 can suffer from a variety of hardware or software problems that can make using it difficult or impossible. Try troubleshooting these problems to solve them on your own before exploring other avenues.
Save on Cards Against Humanity: A Party Game for Horrible People
LeapPad 2 Not Responding
- Wipe off the LeapPad 2 screen to ensure it's not wet and also that there's no dirt, grime or other type of debris on the device's screen. These materials can prevent the stylus from communicating with the device.
- Hold down the "Power" button to force the LeapPad 2 to turn off. Wait for a few minutes and then restart the device. If the LeapPad 2 still isn't responding, try the next option.
- The LeapPad 2 may need to be calibrated by doing the following:
- Press the "Home" and "Volume Up" buttons at the same time until the Parent Settings menu appears on your LeapPad 2. The Volume Up button is located just outside of the upper right edge of the device's screen and the Home button is located to the right of the directional pad.
- Select "Screen Calibration" using the directional pad and then press "Right" on the directional pad. You'll be taken to a screen with a handful of "+" signs located on it.
- Tap the center of each "+" sign with the stylus that came with your device to calibrate your LeapPad 2. After tapping the last "+" sign, the LeapPad 2 will be calibrated.
Installed Apps Not Appearing on LeapPad 2
Try changing the settings on your LeapPad 2 by doing the following:
- Open LeapFrog Connect on your computer, and then connect your LeapPad 2 an an available USB port on your computer.
- Turn on your LeapPad 2 if it isn't turned on already.
- Select "On This LeapPad /Leapster Explorer."
- Click to place a check mark in the context box associated with the app you want to be available on your LeapPad 2.
- Select "Save Changes." Your LeapPad 2 will be synced with LeapFrog Connect.
Rate LeapPad 2
If you aren't logged in to your computer using an administrator's account and you attempt to sync your LeapPad 2 with LeapFrog Connect, Error 65 will be displayed. This error indicates that you can't sync your device with LeapFrog Connect unless the program is being run on the computer by an administrator. If you get Error 65, you can work around it by launching LeapFrog Connect as an administrator by doing the following:
In Windows XP: Navigate to the folder where LeapFrog Connect is installed on your computer. Hold "Shift" down and then right-click "LeapFrogConnect.exe" to open a context menu. Click "Run as" and then click "Run the program as the following user." Enter the username and password associated with the administrator's account on the computer. LeapFrog Connect will launch.
In Windows Vista/Windows 7: Access the LeapFrog Connect folder on your computer and then right-click the "LeapFrogConnect.exe" file. Click "Properties." Select "Compatibility," click "Run this program as an administrator" and then click "OK" to launch LeapFrog Connect.
LeapPad 2 Power Problem
If the LeapPad 2 hasn't been powered on in some time, the device may not turn on automatically when you press the "Power" button. Try resolving this problem by holding down the "Power" and "Home" buttons at the same time for 10 seconds, then releasing both buttons. Wait for a second and then press the "Power" button. More often than not, the device powers up at this time.
© 2012 Max Dalton