How to Turn Your Laptop into a Wifi Hotspot for Free
Wondering how to connect your smartphones and tablet pc to the internet when all you've got is a modem connected to a wired internet connection such as Ethernet? Well, worry no more cause you can now connect all the wifi-enabled devices that you have without the use of a router. Yes, you read it right! You don't need to buy a wireless router just to have a hotspot out from your wired internet connection. All you need is a laptop running in Windows 7 operating system or later versions, and a software that acts as a virtual router.
Connectify Turns Your Laptop into a Hotspot
Just what I've said earlier, we need to install a software that serves as a router...and with that, I recommend Connectify Hotspot because of its high reliability aside from the fact that the software is also available in free lite version. You can give this software a try, and if you like it, you can upgrade for a pro version (paid version) later.
How to Install Connectify Hotspot?
- First, download Connectify Hotspot application and install it on your laptop.
- Click the application's logo found in the notification tray of your desktop. If the icon is not there, try to use the start menu found at the bottom-left part of the screen and click Connectify Hotspot. Check again the notification tray if the icon is already there.
- Now, create a hotspot and choose a desired name for your wireless network. You cannot customize a name in lite version, the name should contain the prefix 'Connectify-'
- Choose a password. The password will be used for future wireless network that utilizes WPA2 encryption.
- Select the Internet connection you want to share.
- Click advanced settings and make sure that 'Wifi' is selected under 'Share Over'.
- Under 'Share Mode' choose an access point to turn your laptop into an access point; 'Wifi Access Point Encrypted, WPA2' is recommended. If it's not available, you have to choose 'Ad-Hoc, Open', which is less secure and has few limitations.
- Click the Start Hotspot button to turn on the configured network.
- Check your smartphones and other wifi-enabled devices. You should be able to see a wireless connection that you have just created.
Congratulations, you now have a working Wifi Hotspot! Be sure to tell your friends about this, they'll surely like it too.
Share and Connect!
You can now share and enjoy the wireless connection that you have just configured. Share the great wifi experience with your friends, family, and even your lovely neighbors (just provide them the correct password).
Thinking about the pro version? Let me show you the benefits of upgrading the software to a paid version:
- Unlimited hotspot uptime
- You can share 3G, 4G and Tethered connections
- You can customize the name of your wireless connection
- Wifi extender mode is available
Speak your mind!
Did you find this helpful?
© 2014 Jemuel