- Audio & Video
How to Update LG TV Firmware
Firmware updates add new functionality and optimize your LG TV's performance. As a result, installing available firmware updates for your TV is a great first step in troubleshooting software problems with your TV. Firmware updates require a USB flash drive and a computer that supports the firmware update file, and can generally be downloaded and installed in less than half an hour. However, be aware that LG only releases firmware updates as needed, and a firmware update may not be available for your TV now or ever.
How many hours do you spend watching TV per week?
More Technology Articles!
- Am I Using 32- or 64-Bit Windows 7?
This article highlights the difference between the 32- and 64-bit versions of Windows 7, how you can check which version you have and, generally, why you should care.
- How to Surf the Web Anonymously
Learn how to initiate an anonymous Web surfing session that won't be tracked and people won't have any way of knowing what you were doing or what sites you looked at.
How to Install LG TV Firmware Update
- Click here to navigate to the LG Support website.
- Enter the model number of your LG TV in the "Search all of LG" box in the upper-right corner of the Web page and then press "Enter." The Search Results page appears.
- Select the Support tab and then click the name of your model LG TV. The Product Support page for your LG TV appears.
- Select the Drivers & Software tab that appears just beneath the image of your TV. If you don't see this tab, a firmware isn't available for your LG TV. However, don't panic; firmware updates are a rare occurrence, to the tune of once a year -- maybe.
- Click the drop-down menu to the right of Operating System and then select your computer's operating system. If your operating system isn't listed, you'll need to download the firmware update file on a computer with a supported operating system. The list of available firmware updates will be restricted to those supported by your operating system.
- Click the name of the firmware update. Operational improvements and new features will be listed in the What's New section. Click "Back to List" to return back to the location where you can download the firmware update.
- Click the software file that corresponds with your firmware update beneath Filename under the name of your update and then download the file to your computer.
- Navigate to where you downloaded the firmware update ZIP file on your computer and then extract the contents of the zip folder to a location.
- Create a new folder named "LG_DTV" and then copy the files you extracted from the ZIP folder into the LG_DTV folder.
- Connect a USB flash drive to your computer and then copy the LG_DTV folder to the flash drive.
- Disconnect the USB flash drive from the computer, power on your LG TV and then connect the USB flash drive to the USB port on the TV. The TV Software Upgrade dialog box appears, displaying the current version of your LG TV's firmware and the update version.
- Select "Start" in the dialog box and then press "OK." The firmware update begins installing automatically. You'll see dialog boxes that appear, notifying you first that the firmware update files are being copied to the LG TV, then a progress bar that says the update is actually installing and finally a dialog box that says the update is finished. The TV restarts automatically and will be ready to operate as you normally would after it's finished rebooting.
- Disconnect the USB flash drive from the LG TV.