- Internet & the Web
How to Read RSS Feeds
Do Your Use an RSS Feed Reader?
Using a RSS Feed reader can seem very complicated at first, but after you get set up to use a reader you will never want to go back to clicking through sites. The idea is really very simple. Instead of clicking into each separate website, you can click into only one website, your reader, and have the information brought to you instantly as it becomes available. The reader will display all of websites you would ordinarily spend time going to each day.
An RSS Feed Reader can also be referred to as news
aggregator, news reader, feed reader, or simply aggregator. Continue reading to learn instructions on how to use an RSS Feed Reader and Read RSS Feeds.
Sign Up for a Reader
Many RSS Feed Readers are Free. Each of these
RSS Feed Readers will have different options that you can customize when you
become familiar with the program. The feed readers listed here are available
and free to use. Sign up with an account or use your existing account
information. Listed are only a couple of the many different types of readers that
are available to use for free.
Subscribe to an RSS Feed
What are RSS Feeds? RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. This really should be simple like it says. Right? Actually, it is simple once you try it out. I will walk you through step by step.
- Go to a website (for example: www.nytimes.com)
- Click on the RSS link. The RSS link is represented by an orange icon as shown here. Often this link will be at the very bottom of the page as it is for the nytimes.com website.
- Subscribe to your link by choosing what you want to read about and subscribe to the reader you are signed up with. For example, if Google is your reader select “Google” and press “Subscribe Now” then select “Add to Google Reader”
- The articles will now appear in your Reader account
Some of the feed readers will let you view RSS content in a manner that is similar to reading your email. Others will show the content in a list as it becomes available. The user can customize options for receiving the feeds and displaying the content. There are some really great websites that rate and review RSS Feed Readers in great detail.
Excellent Video with Step By Step Instructions for Understanding RSS Feeds
Other Helpful Hubs for RSS Information
- RSS Submission :: RSS Feed URL Submit Process
OK, you have completed your preparation for the task of submitting your RSS feed URL's to RSS feed aggregators. You have created your RSS feeds using categories or tags. You have set up your spreadsheet ready...
- What is RSS? A Really Simple Summary of RSS Feeds
Learn what RSS is, how it works and why they should use it. RSS is not as complicated as many users seem to think, and here you will learn just what you need to know to use RSS both as a reader and as a publisher. Use RSS to promote your Internet con