How to Create a Free Apple ID
If you are the owner of an iPhone, iPod, iPad and other Apple products, you are required to create an Apple ID account in order to purchase apps and music from its online Stores. The Apple ID works with iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, Mac Appstore and other related products.
An Apple ID is also a prerequisite if you wish to use and sync information on your device with iCloud and across all your Apple devices. With the account, you can synchronize information in all your Apple products like iPhone, iPad, MacBook, iMac, Apple Watch and Apple TV. Through the same account, you also get Apple support and services, access and participate in iChat, enable and use Find My iPhone etc.
When creating a new Apple ID you will be asked to include credit card information. It is fine to enter this information if you have it. Many users outside the USA, Europe and other developed economies do not readily have this information.
Fortunately, there is a way around this and quite frankly, an easy one. Apple makes it possible to create a free Apple account without credit card data, as long as you know how to.
If later on, you make up your mind to purchase paid apps, you will be able to edit your account and adding your credit card details.
In order to set up a free Apple ID, head over to Apple store and search for a free app.
In a Windows computer,
- Access and open iTunes application. If you do not have iTunes installed, get it free from here.
- Click iTunes Store as shown in the image below:
NOTE: Make sure to sign out of any open iTunes account before proceeding with these steps.
- Once in the store, navigate to the right pane and scroll down to Top Free Apps.
- Select any free app.
- When asked for your apple ID, select Create a new ID as shown below. Do not enter the mail and password of another account.
- Click Continue.
- Click Agree in agreement with Apple terms and conditions.
- You will be directed to an Apple form. Fill in the required details.
The details include your current and working email and a password of your choice. The password should not be the password to your email address. Create a new and unique password.
- Click Continue at the bottom of the screen.
- You will be prompted for payment methods. Since you do not possibly intend to use a credit card, select NONE.
- Fill in the Billing Address - physical address.
- You can go ahead and fill in your names, address and telephone number.
If the information you have filled are correct, Apple will send an automated verification email to the address you provide earlier.
- You must respond to this mail before going any further.
- Sign into your email account and open the verification email sent to you.
- Click the VERIFY NOW button.
- You will then be prompted to sign in to Apple with your newly created Apple ID:
- Use the email address and the new password you have just created.
If everything is correct, you should then see a confirmation message that your email address has been verified.
- You can now click Return to the Store to continue downloading the app you requested earlier.
Have you felt the need to have a free Apple ID?
Edit The Free Apple ID To a Paid Account
If in future you want to make financial transactions of any kind, you will have to fill in your payment details, within the same account.
Worth noting is that the free Apple account will allow you download only free apps from the store and give you access to iCloud and Find My iPhone.
You will not need to create a completely new iTunes account.
Remember that you will need valid credit account details in order to edit your account.
Depending on your country, the billing information can be set to work via VISA, MasterCard or PayPal. Other payment methods are available.
Just follow the few steps below and you should be good to go.
Get a Paid App
- Click on any one of the Top Paid Apps of your choice. For the purpose of this hub, I have selected Atlas 2017 Pro as an example.
- You will be prompted to get your credit card details ready.
- Go ahead and click on the Buy button.
- You will then be reminded that your account does not meet minimum requirements!
- Select the appropriate billing method, follow the instructions and fill in the correct information.
© 2012 Alfred Amuno