- Computers & Software
How to Create a Free Apple ID
The owner of an iPhone, iPod, iPad and other Apple products is obliged to create an Apple ID account in order to ease the process of purchasing apps and music from Apple. An Apple ID works with iTunes Store, App store, iBookstore, Mac Appstore and other related products like Apple Watch and TV.
An Apple ID is also a prerequisite if you wish to use and sync information in your device with iCloud and across all your Apple devices. With the account, you can syncronize information in all your Apple products like iPhone, iPad, iTV, Macbook, iMac, Apple Watch and Apple TV. Through the same account, you also get Apple support and services, access and participate in iChat, enable and use Find My iPhone etc.
Even when downloading free apps and other offers, you are required to own such an account.
When creating a new Apple ID however, you may be asked to feed in credit card information. Quite a handful of users, especially those from developing countries lack this information.
Fortunately, there is a way around this and quite frankly, quite an easy one. Apple makes it possible to create a free Apple account without credit card data, as long as you know how.
If later on you are make up your mind to purchase paid apps, it is possible to edit your details, and add in your credit card data.
Setting up a Free Apple Account
When you wish to create a free Apple ID, you have to access to an Apple store service which offers free downloads. Such services are available for different Apple devices - like iTunes for the computer and App Store for iPhone.
In this example, we shall use a Windows computer:
- First step is to access and open iTunes application. If you do not have iTunes installed, get it free from here.
- When inside iTunes, click on iTunes Store as shown in the image below:
NOTE: Make sure to sign out of any open iTunes account before proceeding with these steps.
- Once inside the store, navigate to the right pane of the Store and scroll downwards to Top Free Apps.
- Select any free app. See the image on the right:
I will use the YouTube app as an example.
- When asked for your apple ID, select Create a new ID as shown below. Do not enter the mail and password of another account.
- Click Continue.
- Click Agree in agreement with Apple terms and conditions.
- You will be directed to an Apple form. Fill in the required details.
The details include your current and working email and a password of your choice. The password should not be the password to your email address. Create a new and unique password.
- Click Continue at the bottom of the screen.
- You will be prompted for payment methods. Since you do not possibly intend to use a a credit card, select NONE.
- You will still be asked for Billing Address - physical address.
You can go ahead and fill in your names, address and telephone number.
If the information you have filled are correct, Apple will send an automated verification email to the address you provide earlier.
- You must respond to this mail before going any further.
- Sign into your email account and open the verification email sent to you.
- Click the VERIFY NOW button.
- You will then be prompted to sign in to Apple with your newly created Apple ID:
- Use the email and the new password you created a few steps back.
If everything is correct, you should then see a confirmation message, that your email address has been verified, and thus associated with your new Apple ID.
- You can now click Return to the Store to continue downloading the app you requested earlier.
Have you felt the need to have a free Apple ID?
Edit the Free Apple Account to a Paid Account
If in future you want to make financial transactions of any kind, you will have to fill in your payment details, within the same account.
Worth noting is that the free Apple account will allow you download only free apps from the store and give you access to iCloud and Find My iPhone.
You will not need to create a completely new iTunes account.
Remember that you will need valid credit account details in order to edit your account.
Depending on your country, the billing information can be set to work via VISA, MasterCard or PayPal. Other payment methods are available.
Just follow the few steps below and you should be good to go.
Get a Paid App
- Click on any one of the Top Paid Apps of your choice (see image). For the purpose of this hub, I have selected WhatsApp Messenger as an example.
- You will be prompted to get your credit card details ready.
- Go ahead and click on the Buy button.
- You will then be reminded that your account does not meet minimum requirements! (see image below).
You should now be redirected to the billing info page.
- Select the appropriate billing method and follow the instructions.