- Computers & Software»
- Operating Systems
How to reset password in windows and linux server editions
Could be said as above but some time when problem occurs we used to try third party tools to get the things faster and even in worst cases need to buy some. This is most annoying mishap in a day2day and datacenter routine. There some functions already provided in the Linux Operating system but for windows machine need to try some tricks.
Password Recovery in Linux machine
For Redhat machines follow the steps below to recover the root password : -
1. Reboot the machine.
2. In the boot menu click on the letter 'E' .
3. Boot menu will explode into the editing mode and with need to edit the kernel statement most probably the second line and then again click letter 'E' to edit the same. When you find the line is editable then type : SPACE + '1' at the end of the line. This will help the machine to boot into the emergency mode single user.
4. Press "Enter" to get into the menu back and then press letter 'B' to boot the machine.
5. After boot system will show the "#" prompt and then type command "passwd" to change the password of the root user.
For Ubuntu Edition follow as below: -
1. reboot the machine. Then go to the boot menu.
2. Choose recovery mode in the boot menu. After that You will get the root prompt in a single user mode. Where user can change default user and root password by the tying as below: -
3. If recovery case is not displayed in the menu then choose the default selection and and press letter 'E' to edit the parameters. Now choose the line starting for kernel definition .. most probably the second option in the menu after pressing letter 'e'.
4. Now go to of the end of the line and replace "ro quiet splash" to "rw init=/bin/bash". After that press enter and choose letter 'b' to reboot the machine.
5. After reboot u will get the single user prompt with root permission where you can change the password as mentioned in the step "2".
How to reset password of Windows machine e.g Windows server 2008 server -
1. Restart your Windows server 2008 DC with the installation CD
2. Choose your language and click next
3. Select your partition and installation version and click Next
4. Click on Comm and Line Prompt
5. Change directory to the access the system 32 directory. Then your original C:drive is changed to D: or E: depending on the number of drive and partitions you have on that system.
6. Rename the file Utilman.exe to Utilman.exe.bak using the comm and Copy Utilman.exe Utilman.exe.bak.
7. Using Command Move Cmd.exe Utilman.exe to move CMD.exe file into Utilman.exe. Press O or Y to accept after that restart your Computer normaly
8. At the user logon screen, press a combination of Windows KEY+U, then the CMD.exe will appear. Type net user “Username””new password”;
Then your system Admin Password is reset. Please don’t forget to rename back Utilman. Exe ->Cmd.exe and Utilman.exe.bak-> Utilman.exe after getting back access.
ALTERNATE METHOD -
1. repeat the steps 1 and 2.
2. Then click on the load drivers on the screen Install now.
3. There click on the computer icon and repeat the steps 5, 6, 7, 8 as mentioned above. the only thing is you have to work on the windows explorer to complete the renaming of the files.
Note : As mentioned in the Images uploaded.
There also so many other third party tools to do the same for example Ophcrack.