- Audio & Video
How to Stream Media From MacBook Pro to Sony Bravia Tv Wirelessly.
Setting up PS3 Media Server on your Mac
With PS3 Media Server you can stream the videos and other media files from your computer to the PS3, Xbox 360, or other devices like your Sony Bravia (with DLNA) over Wi-Fi. It requires minimal configuration and is really easy to use, allowing you to stream your videos without worrying about the technicalities involved. Below are the steps with some screenshots which are self explanatory, but I will briefly describe the process to set up PS3 Media Server on your mac in this article.
Download PS3 Media Server from the Cnet website
Save the file in your Applications Folder
- Double click on the downloaded .dmg file.
- Drag the PS3 Media Server application then opened to the Applications Folder.
- Click on the PS3 Media Server Application Icon in your Applications to open it.
- When you try to open it for the first time you might get a popup saying that the application is unsafe since it was not downloaded from Apple store, but you can safely ignore the warning.
- The Main Panel will now be visible and a small icon of the application will also be visible on the top menu bar towards your right. The status screen for now will show you a red cross with a message saying 'No renderers found'. It will look like the one in the adjacent image once you set up your TV. But let us first configure our mac.
- Click on the 'General Configuration' and ensure that your configuration matches the image. You could choose the Default Renderer from the dropdown based on the TV you have. If you do not know select 'Unknown Renderer'.
- Now click on the 'Navigation/Share Settings' tab. By default 'All Drives' would be selected under 'Shared Folders'. You could change and I would suggest that you change that to share just the folders that contain your Videos, Music and Pictures only. This would make your navigation on the TV a bit easier. For example, to share your 'Movies' folder, click on the plus button and select the 'Users/<your username>/Movies'. This will automatically remove 'All Drives' from the shared folders and only your movies folder will be shared.
- Now click on the 'Transcoding Settings' and choose 'MEncoder' under 'Video Files Engine'. Configure the screen as shown in the image. You could configure the folder that would contain the subtitles of the movie you are watching. I keep my movies in the Movies folder and subtitles (*.srt or *.sub files) in Subs folder under 'Movies' folder. If you do not want to configure it and still want subtitles then you should keep the subtitles files in the same folder where your movie is. Also whatever be the case ensure that the Movie file name and the subtitles file name is exactly the same with no special characters like '.', '-' etc. Also the name must start with an alphabet and not a number.
- Hit on the 'Save' button on the top of the main panel and then 'Restart Server' to restart the server.
How to configure your Sony Bravia to work with PS3 Media Server on mac
Now that you are all done with the settings in your mac. Lets configure your Bravia TV now. First, connect your TV to the internet. I have briefly explained the process below.
Wiring the router
- The adjacent image is of a wireless router through which your mac connects to the internet. An ethernet cable from your internet service provider connects to this router. Take another ethernet cable (the blue one in this image) that fits into one of the free slots in your router and connect it to any of those free slots.
Wiring the TV
- Your our TV has a similar slot on the back side as shown here. Connect the other end of the blue ethernet cable into that slot. This connects your TV to the internet and the same Local Area Network (LAN) where your mac is connected. PS3 server could only stream media to devices in the same LAN.
You are now all set with wiring your TV to connect to internet and LAN. Sony also sells a wireless usb adaptor for TV but I am not using that as it is very costly. If your router and TV are placed nearby, wiring is the easiest thing to do.
Browsing Mac Media on TV
- Press the 'Home' button on your Bravia's remote.
- Keep pressing the 'left' or 'right' arrow button until you see the 'Videos' in the menu on your screen as shown in the adjacent image.
- This menu is used to play media from USB connected to your TV or any media servers like the PS3 media server connected in your LAN.
- You will be able to see the 'PS3 Media Server' icon on your TV screen. If not or if the icon does not look the same as what you see in your mac's Application folder, it means the Server is not running. Restart the server if it is not running. You should now be able to see the Green tick as in the 'Main Panel' image since your TV is on and configured.
- The first image here is when the media server is not running but was previously detected.
- The second image is when the media server on your mac is running and correctly detected by your TV. Notice the change in PS3 icon.
- Press the 'OK' button on your TV remote to select the PS3 icon and you will be able to see the folders that you had shared on your mac.
- Navigate to the 'Movies' folder and press OK to see the contents. Select you favorite movie and press OK.
- How to create Tooltips in your Blogs on blogger.com
Tooltip is a message that appears when you hover your mouse or cursor over some text or image. A tooltip could be used to display the meaning or a brief comment over that main text or image.
Enjoy the movie on the big screen. :)