Impact of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) on Human Socio-Economic Development
ICT, the route to one global village
ICT and Human Socia-Economic development
The impact of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) on human Socio-economic development cannot be over emphasized. It represent a hub around which the prosperity of many nations and individuals around the World revolves.
The concept of the World becoming one global village is made possible via bridging communication gap occasion by distance. Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is defined as the various electronic media that make transmission of information from one place to the other in a matter of seconds possible irrespective of distance or location. Such means include Telecommunication, internet, Radio and Television.
Information that ordinarily would have taken scores of days and weeks to transport can now be gotten in a matter of seconds. The hallmark of any successful business and other branches of human interest is Information. This discuss will therefore not only examine the Impact ICT has made so far on Human Socio-economic development but also proffer how it could further be enhanced and embraced in bringing about greater development.
To put this discuss in perspective, let examine the impact ICT has made in the under listed branches of Human endeavours.
1. The Financial Sector: Banks and similar institutions could be said to be the sector that have benefited the most from latest developments in ICT. It is now safer and more convenient to own a Bank account in all its ramifications. Fund transfer can now be made in a matter of seconds within a locality and to most parts of the World. Not only that such Fund transfer is possible but the ease with which it can be collected and with a greater security than ever.
The Automated Teller Machine (ATM) is a good example. One don’t need to stand on long queues for fund withdrawal , with the use of the ATM Card banking transaction can be carried out at any time of the day within the scope of transactions allowed. Such transactions could even include payment of bills such as electricity, water rates etc.
With online or internet Banking a lots of payments and buying can be done online via one’s bank account at the convenience of one’s home or Office. The life wire of any business is fund availability and its timeliness. Therefore this impact of ICT on the financial sector has a positive multiplier effect on the Business World.
2. Employment Generation: One of the Sectors today that has brought about perhaps the highest employment opportunity is ICT. This in no small measure has positively impact the Society at large especially through the telecommunication industry.
This employment opportunity is both public and individual organization efforts. A lot of individuals and organisations earn income through online publishing, internet access business centre, trading in information and Communication technology equipment and accessories, Internet Service providers (ISP), ICT machines engineers, telecommunication networking experts etc.
3. Social Networking: Social networking Platforms such as Facebook , Twitter and other similar websites have brought about great relationship opportunities which otherwise would not have been easy to come by .Though it have its draw backs but it is a great credit for ICT.
People from all works of life meet via this platform to socialize creating a friendly atmosphere to discuss and exchange ideas on pertinent issues that borders on human Socio-economic development.
4. Great Advertising Media: Information and Communication Technology is a veritable platform for creating awareness on any issue that could elicit public interest and one of the greatest marketing tools. Millions of persons browse the internet daily searching for information in their fields of interest. As a result ICT is severally used to advertise businesses, educational programs, health matters, and even spiritual issues.
The television, radio and the print media still maintain their place in this regard but the growth in Information and Communication technology such as the internet has taken this industry to another dimension.
5. Educational Sector: We can’t talk about the impact of communication and information technology on human socio-economic development without making reference to the educational sector. ICT has made the teaching-learning process a lot easier and more interesting. One can undertake a degree, Master and PHD programs online via distance learning framework. This could be in countries or locations thousands of miles apart.
In the past, chalk or the blackboard was the main instructional material employed in the classroom. As a result of advancement in ICT today we have interactive board for learning that give access to the internet for further findings which could be useful in whatever topic been thought. This is just a few of the numerous benefits accrued as a result of embracing information and communication technology.
How to further enhance the Impact of Information and Communication Technology ( ICT) on Human Socio-Economic Development.
Much has been said on the subject of information and communication technology impact on human socio-economic development. However it suffices to say that the ultimate have not been attained yet. . Therefore the following measures should be taken.
1. Needed Assistance for the Developing World: Poverty is a major problem in the developing Countries of the World and so the development of ICT is still at low ebb. One global village is an illusion to such communities because of their in ability to afford basic access to these facilities.
This is a call on the developed World that apart from profit motive in dispensing these facilities to such indigent communities, the global impact should be put into consideration if such facilities are subsidized and where possible it should be free. It may interest you to know that average cost of accessing internet in advanced countries is far cheaper relatively than less developed countries occasioned by poverty.
2. Constant Upgrade of ICT Facilities: The World is advancing everyday almost as the clock ticks in Technology and most especially in ICT. The entire globe has to go in the same pace if the concept of one global village will remain a reality. Imbalances are inevitable if this crucial factor is not taken seriously and it will have a negative impact globally.
We could take a clue from the global economic down turn in the not too distance past which some countries are yet to recover from. Global economic imbalance was a key factor. The same is true in any sector that has a global outlook. Stakeholders in this regard should bear this in mind; the readiness at all times to upgrade existing facilities to catch up with international standard should be a key priority. Apart from this, existing facilities should be constantly maintained and protected from been vandalized.
3. Greater awareness Campaign: A greater enlightenment on the importance of Information and Communication Technology in individual vocation, communal, organizational and national development is highly advocated. Majority of ICT clients are yet to fully comprehend how to make most of what the system has to offer in its entire ramification especially for the business concerns. Different means should be employed to get this done.
4. Deployment of Certified Personnel: Training and re-training of ICT personnel should be a continuous one. Such personnel should be mobile and dispersed to oversee sensitive aspects with respect to facilities for optimum performance. This should not be compromise as there are a lot of amateurs in disguise. This informed the inclusion of Information and Communication Technology(ICT) as a compulsory field of study in the school curriculum especially at the secondary school level.
The dominance of information and communication technology as a key driver of human socio-economic development is natural. It is a mechanism that is self sustaining if the framework is in place without any bias. Countries, communities and individuals that have embraced this phenomenon will remain in the front line for many years to come if not tending to infinity.