Insert a YouTube Video in PowerPoint
YouTube is the biggest video submission site and one of the most vibrant communities on the web. People use it for marketing their business, watching TV clips, homemade movies, and socialising with others with similar interests.
You can insert a YouTube video in PowerPoint presentations in many different ways. The best way will require converting the file format of the YouTube video first.
YouTube videos use the .flv file format which stands for Flash video. PowerPoint can only play Flash videos by using the Internet to connect to YouTube. See how to embed a YouTube video in PowerPoint.
Now because there is a fair chance that I may be presenting at a location with no Internet connection, or maybe no access to the YouTube site, I will look at inserting an offline version of the YouTube video.
Convert YouTube Video to .avi Format
To download and convert the video file into a more appropriate format such as .avi, another software program is required. I recommend www.mediaconverter.org. Media Converter makes the process simple and even provides a few online games to keep you interested whilst you wait for your file to be converted.
- Go to www.mediaconverter.org
- Click the Enter a link option
- Copy and paste the YouTube video’s URL into the field provided and click Ok
4. The video is added to a queue. You can convert 4 videos at a time. Click Go to the next step
5. Select avi from the Select an output file type drop list and click Ok
6. A summary stating the number of files for conversion, and the format they will be converted to is displayed. Click Start
7. The conversion process starts and you are offered the opportunity to play a few online games to keep you occupied. The waiting time will depend on the duration of the video clip
The file is now downloaded and can be inserted into PowerPoint
Insert Video in PowerPoint
With the file stored locally, the video can be inserted into PowerPoint using the usual process.
- Select the presentation slide where you want to insert the video
- Click the Insert tab on the Ribbon
- Click the Movie button and select Movie from File
4. Navigate to and select the YouTube video and click Ok
5. PowerPoint prompts you to start the video automatically or when clicked. Automatically starts the video as soon as the slide begins. When clicked relies upon the presenter manually advancing the presentation
The popularity of YouTube means there is an abundance of media available that can be utilised in our PowerPoint presentations. Insert a YouTube video in PowerPoint to enhance your presentations.