- Computers & Software
Blackberry Messenger on Windows PC
BBM For Android 4.0 (ICS)
Blackberry has officially announced the release of BBM Apps for Android on Sept 2013. But not everyone can feel the heat of this hot stuff. You need a phone which driven by at least Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich).
For Android, BBM supports smartphones running Android V.4.0 (Ice cream Sandwich) and later and with a screen size of 7” or less.
One non official version of BBM ported to Gingerbread by a guy from xda-developers forum. It was a modified version of the official BBM app which may not work for everyone.
BBM For PC -- Bluestacks
For Windows PC, you'll need Android emulator to get this apps running, and Bluestacks was one of them. BlueStacks called it self as an Apps player, an optimized version of Android emulator for PC (Windows and MacOS). You can try, run and play with thousands of apps including WhatsApp, Viber, Games and many more on it.
Bluestacks Emulated it self as a phone devices, which cause this emulator to be able to install phone restricted apps such as WhatsApp and BBM. Short after the BBM for Android release announcement (Sept 2013), I've tried to get it run on Bluestacks but fail with unsupported devices error message. At that time Bluestacks run with an old Android version.
Fortunately, latest Bluestacks include a fix for this and also bring several changes to its UI layout. They've now upgraded their os into ICS (Android 4.0.4 - formerly was Eclair).
Install BBM on BlueStacks
Here are steps to install BBM on Windows PC through BlueStacks:
- Make sure your computer meet the minimum requirement.
- Download Bluestacks installer from www.bluestacks.com.
- Run installer and wait until install complete.
- Upgrade Graphics Driver if required.
- Run Bluestacks.
- Search BBM though Apps search.
- Add Google account and follow 1-click sync process (first time only).
- Download BBM from Play Store.
- Register for PIN.
- Have fun.
Watch the following video for more detail.
Video: how to install BBM on Windows PC
Problems during install
Getting BBM on Windows PC might not as smooth as we expected. Problems sometime occurs during install either Bluestacks or on the Blackberry Messenger (BBM) app it self. The first problems was the non supported devices error message. But you can consider it as solved since Bluestacks did the fix by upgrading their system into supported version.
Intel HD Graphics Driver Upgrade Error
The next problem is a Graphic Upgrade error. Bluestacks require latest Graphics Driver in order to run. You'll be be provided with an upgrade link to the official Graphic manufacture download page if you're still using old driver.
The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer.
Installing the latest driver will surely solve the problem. But when the above message occur during install, alternatively you can try manually install the driver.
- Download the zipped version driver and Extract to a folder.
- Go to device manager, Display Driver.
- Right click and select "Update Driver Software".
- Select "Browse my computer for driver software".
- Navigate to extracted driver folder.
- Wait until upgrade finished and then..
- Restart computer.
BBM Tablet Mode
By default BBM layout will optimized for phone device. This will force Bluestacks to re-size it layout into phone mode. Change Bluestacks to full screen mode won't bring any different unless apps size setting for BBM is set to tablet mode.
- Back to main Window
- Click on clock at the bottom of menu
- Click on settings icon to show status
- Click on settings windows showed on status
- On settings menu select Apps Size
- Find BBM and check on Tablet size
- Back to Main Window and re-run BBM
Video : Tablet mode BBM Layout
On simple words, to install Blackbery messenger or BBM on Windows PC, you just need to upgrade Graphics Driver to latest version, install or upgrade the latest Bluestacks and find BBM on Apps search menu on Bluestacks. You can also install WhatsApp and Viber since Bluestacks is optimized for phone devices. Thanks for visiting and have a nice day.
- BBM for Android & iPhone iOS - Download Free Instant Messaging - US
BBM is now available for Android & iPhone. Send and receive free instant messages, discover BBM Channels, watch demos & get the support you need. - US
- How to manually install a driver in Microsoft Windows* 7