- Internet & the Web
Is BecomeViral.com A Scam? (2013)
Have you been contacted by becomeviral.com in the same way?
I just logged into my Youtube account and found a note from a user named karrishkorn. It read:
Νіce ԝоrk! I just finished watching one of уοur videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMGKtO0aAXc) and havе to admit І wаs рrеtty imprеssed.
I reаllу tһіnk уour vіdeο ϲоuld bе tһе next big tһіng on ΥоuΤubе, but Ӏ nοtіϲed tһаt nοt manу people had sеen іt yet.
Honestly, you have sоmе οf the best videos оn YοuΤuƅe. Ͼаnʿt believe more реорle һavenʾt found them.
Dο you realize tһat уοur vidеοs are somе of tһе better ones that YouTube һas to оffеr? Тhаnk you sο much fоr makіnɡ them!
Іtʹs so ԝеird thаt pеοрle sеem tο watch the samе kіnd of garbage videos all the tіmе. I meаn just lоοk аt the mοst popular vіdeоs, when compared to yοurs they seem sο stаle.
I sһоuld ρrobaƅlу let уou get ƅack tо what уοu werе dоing, ƅut before Ӏ go, I just ԝantеd tο mentіon that а friеnd of mіne used to have the samе prоblem getting vіews. Ηе finally toоk carе оf thаt ρroƅlem ԝһеn he found,
BECOMEVIRAL dot C O M
Bаsiϲally what hарреns is tһey sеnd уou а ton of views tο уоur vіdeοs. That hеlрs yоu gеt ranked іn the ΥouΤuƅе sеаrch enɡіnе which іs when your vіeԝs ϲan reallу take οff."
Here is a screen shot of the message as well...
Right away there are several red flags of this message being a scam.
- RED Flag 1: The user, karrishkorn does not have a profile picture. This in and of itself is not worrisome. However, if becomeviral.com was a legitimate business, they would probably upload a logo or other visual profile picture. Karrishkorn is also not a very professional, bussiness-like profile name. If it was legit, most likely it would be named after the company, a promoter, or other employee.
- RED Flag 2: The profile for karrishkorn is empty. They have no videos, they do not explain or promote the website, they do not have any recent activity, and they have no subscriptions but four subscribers. They also liked about 12 videos several different times. These videos seem to be from real people and have a lot of views. They have been a member since December 12, 2012.
- RED Flag 3: When I did a Google search for "Is becomeviral.com a scam?" 6 out of 10 results on the first page were complaints against the business (see screen shot, right).
- RED Flag 4: The weird symbols in the middle of words indicates a copy/paste which may be a bot (an automated spam message machine). The writer also spells out and puts spaces in the URL so the message doesn't get flagged and marked as spam.
- RED Flag 5: My videos consist mainly of my son growing up. I created my Youtube channel so that my son's extended family could take part in watching him grow up. I can't even monetize these videos so why do I care about views? The video referenced is of me with my finger in my nose yodeling, and trying to roll three 2's in a board game called Quelf. It doesn't make sense that these are such awesome videos.
- RED Flag 6: It doesn't check out with the Better Business Bureau. Not all legitimate companies are BBB certified (HubPages and Google are not!) but they are all graded on an A+ to F scale. For example, HubPages scored an A and Google scored an A- (go HubPages!). becomeviral.com scored an F. That is unacceptable.
- RED Flag 7: The website promises all of these views but does not describe how or where these views come from. Check your Google Adsense. It shows you exactly where your views are coming from. There is also no return policy or free trial period.
This business is NOT BBB accredited, which may mean it has not sought accreditation. Some factors that made the score low was how new the business is, the fact that they did not respond to a billing dispute, and little to no information provided about the business. There were no customer reviews provided on this website.
"This site is not currently listed as suspicious... Of the 2 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 0 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent." This doesn't necessarily mean that the service is legitimate, it just means you won't get spam from it.
This site says: "This Very New Site Has an Unknown Reputation... Site is United States based, but the real location is being hidden... This site is 70% safe." Sounds fishy. (Scamadviser was not listed on the BBB's website).
Just To Be Fair: I included one video that claims becomeviral.com is a scam and one that says it isn't- you be the judge. This one is from Youtuber, LondonE442.
becomeviral Is NOT A Scam Video (LJRgaming99)
inaharnold has over 100 videos. HIs views range from 0 views to over 50,000 views. This is how many views his top 10 videos have:
Quick End Poll
What do you think? Is becomeviral.com a scam?
Although becomeviral.com is technically a legitimate business, the bottom line is that the use of their service is against Youtube policy. The service does in fact generate views, but does not tell the user where these views are coming from. The site does check out with Google Safe Browsing and scamadviser.com.
I would not recommend this service, however, because it is against Youtube policy and there was an unresolved dispute on the Better Business Bureau's website. If you generate views in a way that is against Youtube policy, you will NOT be paid and your account might be deleted. Also, they use spam messages and fake profiles to contact potential clients.
Amazon Products That Truly Help
Learn how to make actual money on YouTube with just an hour a day's effort!