Mobile Number Portability in India
MNP stands Mobile Number Portability, this service was available in other major countries a long time ago but this year from 20th January 2011 it was introduced in India also. This caused a major buzz all around as it was a major relief for many customers who wanted to change service providers but could not do so as they would have to lose their numbers. I myself was very delighted when this service was introduced as I too wanted to switch my service provider. Now many people still have some confusion about this service and for them I have sorted out some details.
In India we have certain limitations while porting our mobile numbers to other service providers. The MNP in India allows the users to choose GSM to GSM or GSM to CDMA or CDMA to GSM and CDMA to CDMA service in both post paid and prepaid connections.
There are certain things that you should know before trying to port your number. They are:
1. All accounts should be in good standing state with no dues, meaning your bills should be cleared before applying for porting.
2. If you have any balance in your phone (In case of Prepaid Connections) that balance will be lost once the number has been ported.
3. If you have any Paid services activated in your phone they will not be carried forward to the new operator. You have to newly subscribe to them again and also pay for them again.
4. The cost for MNP is Rs. 19 and maximum time required is 7 working days. During this time you will be using the old service provider.
Now that we have discussed the things that we should know about MNP its time we know how to use MNP in order to switch service providers. Just follow these simple steps and you will be on your way.
Which Operator do you prefer?
1. You will need to send a SMS from your phone to 1900 in this formatà PORT <YOUR MOBILE NUMBER> (e.g. PORT 9836342657)
2. You will then get a reply message along with a “Unique Porting Code”. (I got this message nearly one hour later so be patient or just call Customer Care and get the code). This code is valid for about 15 to 20 days.
3. Go to a nearby shop which offers MNP to your desired service provider (In my case I just went to a shop and there I chose a new connection to TATA DOCOMO, so they took the “Unique Porting Code” and just entered in the Customer Information form and it was all done). It’s just like taking a new connection only thing extra is that you need the “Unique Porting Code”.
4. Take a Passport size photograph and ID proof with you and Rs. 19.
5. The new operator will soon contact you and welcome you to their network.
6. You might also get a call from the exiting operator asking you why you want to switch to another operator. They will try to give you offers and if you agree to them they will stop the porting procedure. So if they call just tell them you want to switch your operator and you will not change you decision.
7. Then within 7 days you will get a message saying that the number has been ported and you are ready to use the new operator. You might not get any network coverage for 2 hours during this time.
8. Now you should take the old SIM card out and put the new SIM card in which you got from the shop.
There it is all done, it might sound a bit confusing but it’s very simple. If you still think it’s too complicated for you then just take your phone and go to any shop where they offer new connections and tell them you want to port your number and they will everything for you and remember that it costs only Rs. 19 so don’t pay more.
Visit operator websites for more information
- Mobile number portability - Switch to Uninor thru mobile number portability today!
Mobile number portability allows you to switch to Uninor without changing your number. Mobile number portability enables you to access lower call rates, ISD packs, EDGE enabled network & much more from Uninor.
- Aircel World
- Mobile Number Portability
TATA Teleservices provides the best CDMA mobile service, cheapest prepaid tariffs, great talktime and recharge vouchers and best VAS services in India
- Get Idea! Get better service
- Welcome to Reliance Communications
- Mobile Number Portability in India | MNP India | Tata DOCOMO
Tata DOCOMO : Mobile Number Portability MNP is the process by which, you can shift to another operator, but keep your old number. Know more about Mobile Number Portability Click here.
- MNP - Mobile Number Portability | Switch to Vodafone India
- Airtel World
For move your mobile number to Airtel, fill airtel mobile number porting (MNP) form providing details like, Current Mobile Number, Current Operator name, UPC code. Know more required documents