Maglite LED Flashlight Review Model XL 200™
The best LED flashlight under $50 = Maglite XL 200
What follows is a review of the Maglite LED flashlight model XL 200™ that I purchased from Amazon.com. This is a review by person who actually owns the item not just somebody copying specifications from a website in order to try to sell it.
I've been wanting to purchase an LED flashlight for some time now so I began to look at the various models and read reviews on Amazon. I also made a trip to a local sporting goods store to see what they had in stock. I found several models of flashlights with LED bulbs and nearly all of them were above $50 and made in China. As an owner of previous models of Maglite flashlights I wanted to see what they had to offer in comparison to the competition.
There are a lot of tactical flashlights on the market right now. Popular brands include:
- Brite Strike
Before I begin looking at tactical flashlights with LED bulbs I wasn't really sure what to look for and what features would be important to me and which features I probably wouldn't use.
The Maglite LED model XL 200 has all the features that suit my purpose plus more. One of the things I discovered my research and LED flashlights is that they all seem to use bulbs from a manufacturer called CREE. Well at least the good ones do. Of coarse not all Cree bulbs are the same…they have low end product to high end product. At this point in time I cannot remember the exact model number of the bulb in the Maglite XL 200, however I did look it up before purchasing and it's rated at 50,000 hours usable life. I don't plan to use the flashlight more than once or twice a week for a few minutes at a time so there shouldn't be a problem.
Of course I could list all the specifications of the flashlight but I'm not sure they would really mean anything to someone else who have not already researched flashlights. I'd rather talk about my impressions of the features.
Here's what I like about the Maglite XL 200 LED flashlight:
- It's a very bright! Compared to my other Maglite Mini Flashlights this one seems to be a hundred times brighter. Clearly I have no way to major exactly so that's a very subjective statement. At maximum power with fresh batteries in the Maglite XL 200 can deliver up to hundred and 72 lumens. Translation = very bright.
- The Maglite XL 200 LED flashlight is shorter than my other Maglite flashlights which take AA batteries. But it is a little bit wider, because it uses three Triple A batteries.
- The XL 200 is very easy to use. On the end cap there are five settings. Each setting is represented by a single click with your finger or more conveniently your thumb. When you click one time the flashlight goes on full power. Click twice in the flashlight will go into strobe mode. Click three times in a goes in to nightlight mode. Click four times in a goes in the signal mode. Click five times in a goes in the SOS mode. For my purposes I usually only click one time because I only one he use it as a flashlight. I can see value in a strobe mode for tactical purposes that there are much better tactical flashlights than this model.
- This was a very inexpensive purchase compared to the other brands, and in my opinion the best value for the dollar.
- It's made in the United States of America
- small enough and light enough to fit in my pocket and carry around.
Here's what I don't like about the Maglite XL 200 LED flashlight
- I would prefer AA batteries as all of my electronics use double ways and not Triple-A's.
- It's not waterproof adjust water resistant. Most tactical flashlights are truly waterproof and more durable and can be dropped without damage. I wouldn't be concerned about a small drop but a drop of 36 inches or higher with the Maglite XL 200 flashlight would concern me.
- Even though I have a decent finger dexterity I can see a person having difficulty clicking consecutively to get through all the modes. I would prefer a simple dial with a click stop to get to the different modes.
- Came packaged in a blister pack with no case of any kind, although it did come with a set of Duracell Copper top batteries.
The final selling point that pushed me over the edge and made me buy this flashlight instead of one of the Fenix models I was considering was the nightlight mode. For me this is a really cool feature because in the nightlight mode you can stand the flashlight on its end and it will dim down like a nightlight.
As soon as you pick the flashlight up it goes back on full brightness. So you can use this flashlight while camping to do just enough light in your tent or RV and not run the batteries out. Maglite claims up to 218 hours in the nightlight mode. With fresh quality alkaline batteries in the full brightness mode Maglite claims the flashlight will last for 2 1/2 hours. I am only use the flashlight for about 10 to 15 minutes so I have no idea if these claims are valid.
Recently I had a black cricket that was chirping in my room and I could not find him. At first I use one of my other flashlights and it wasn't bright enough to shine under the furniture to see the cricket. So I went and got the Maglite 200 XL shine it under the furniture and was very easy to see the cricket. Sound like a silly application but it was very convenient at the time and allowed me to go back to sleep after removing the cricket from my room.
Maglite XL 200 Physical Specifications
Length: 4.8" (121.92 mm)
Barrel Diameter: 1" (25.4 mm)
Head Diameter: 1" (25.4 mm)
Weight with batteries: 3.68 oz. (104 g)
Summary Conclusion - Maglite XL 200™
So that about wraps it up. For my purposes this was an excellent purchase and I paid just over $33 and got free shipping and no sales tax by buying from Amazon. I would've purchased it locally but the sporting goods store that I visited did not have them and I didn't want to drive all over town trying to find one with the cost of gas. I did do some online shopping to see if the Amazon price was really the best price I could find on the Maglite XL 200 LED flashlight and in this case they were about two dollars cheaper than everyone else and the free shipping was the selling point that close the deal.
If you know of a better LED Flashlight for the money then please comment below, or comment just if you want to know more about it and I'll try to answer your questions when I have time. Or just comment because you want to!