How to Change Your Mobile Network Without Changing Number in India
Wanted to change your mobile phone company, but couldn't because you wanted to retain your number. Now to our rescue comes the mobile number portability which was introduced by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI). TRAI is the regulating authority which on behalf of the Department of Telecom keeps a check on the mobile phone operators in India.
One thing to keep in mind is that the feature only applies to cell phone users and not fixed lines. For example, a number such as 9322xxxxxx with the service operator of Reliance can be changed to a service of Airtel retaining the same number. This feature does not apply as a whole to the company, it only applies to mobile phone operators. Like a fixed line from Airtel cannot be changed to a fixed line of say, Reliance.
Mobile number portability is a feature which many countries around the world already have. Countries such as Brazil, Denmark, Germany and many others started this facility way back. In India, the process of changing your service operator can take up to 7 days (more for Northeast states and Jammu Kashmir, as much as 15 days). On the other hand, many developed and not so developed countries make this process within few hours. We can avail this service by paying Rs 19 while our counterparts from around the world can avail this service free of charge.
How to change your Mobile Phone Operator
TRAI has made the process of changing your operator fairly very simple. As a customer, you just have to take a few steps to change your service provider.
Step 1) Send an SMS to 1900 in the following format: PORT followed by your number - eg. PORT 9322xxxxxx.
Step 2) You will get an SMS reply that contains a unique porting code (UPC). UPC will be valid only for few days. UPC is an 8-digit alpha-numeric code. If you lost track then send another SMS to get your new UPC. The expiry date of the UPC will also be mentioned.
Step 3) Visit the nearest service center of the new operator for which you are applying.
Step 4) Fill the required Customer Acquisition Form (CAF) and submit your documents.
Step 5) You will get a new SIM card. Just follow the instructions given by your operator.
Detailed Instructions For Changing Your Operator To
- Jio - Steps to port your mobile number to Reliance Jio
As part of the Jio Welcome Offer, you can port in your existing mobile number to Jio.
- Airtel - Steps to move your mobile number to Airtel
For moving your mobile number to Airtel, fill airtel mobile number porting (MNP) form providing details like, Current Mobile Number, Current Operator name, UPC code. Know more required documents
- Vodafone - Steps to move your mobile number to Vodafone
Vodafone India Mobile Number Portability or MNP - An offering that allows You to switch over to Vodafone network from any other network without changing your number.
- Tata Docomo - Steps to move your mobile number to Tata Docomo
Tata DOCOMO : Mobile Number Portability MNP is the process by which, you can shift to another operator, but keep your old number. Know more about Mobile Number Portability Click here.
- Reliance Communications - Steps to move your mobile number to Reliance
With MNP you can now keep your mobile number & join RCOM. You no longer need to be tied into an operator because of your number. So join RCOM & you will not need to inform all your contacts about your new number.
- Switch to Idea! Dial 1800 270 0000 | Idea MNP (Mobile Number Portability)
With Idea, SIMPLICITY and AFFORDABILITY walk hand in hand. Our customer centric tariffs allow you all the room in the world to choose the perfect plan
- Mobile Number Portability - MTNL
Welcome to the new world of MTNL 3G where you will experience the best of services, be it superior network, exciting VAS, video calls, mobile TV, ultra fast wireless broadband and lots more. Let transparency have a new meaning with simple tariff.
- Aircel - Steps to move your mobile number to Aircel
Aircel now empowers you to discover a world of possibilities without changing your mobile number. Live the life you always wanted with path-breaking services like pocket internet, packet host and other innovative products.
- Videocon Telecom - Steps to move your mobile number to Videocon
Follow the easy to use instruction from the official website
- MTS India - Steps to move your mobile number to MTS
The link leads you to the official website of MTS India. Select your circle/area from the drop-down menu and fill the MNP form and read the details for more information.
Reasons for Changing Your Operator
- You may like to switch from post-paid to prepaid.
- You may want to switch from CDMA to GSM. This is the reason why I changed my number. I was awaiting MNP from so many days. The handsets which GSM has on offer are vast. You have so many to choose from, Nokia, Samsungs and not to forget those fancy out-of-this-world Chinese made cell phones (joke intended).
- You feel that your service provider does not have proper network coverage or there is a limited network at your home/office.
- Your operator does not have usage plans that suit you.
- Also, the recent Supreme court judgment which canceled licenses of operators such as Uninor etc. can be a reason for you to change your provider while retaining your number. If this concerns you then you should take steps to retain your number. The supreme court has given a total of 40 days to the government from its judgment to cancel all the licenses and re-allocate the spectrum. There can also be chances that your provider's license got canceled and they got it re-issued when the government re-allocates it. So, you never know if the judgment will affect you or not. Consider your choices smartly.
- There can be many different reasons that may concern you and finally, you have decided to change your operator. But there are few important points to remember if you are going ahead and changing your number.
Across State Portability
Starting May 3, 2015, you can keep your same number even if you change your cities. For example, suppose you move from Bangalore to Mumbai then you need not change your number. TRAI has advised all the operators to comply with pan-India mobile number portability.
Important Points to Keep in Mind
- If you recently bought a new number then the number cannot be changed within 90 days. Also if you availed the feature of MNP and further want to change your number to another operator. Then there has to be a gap of 90 days. Any which way there has to be a gap of 90 days before you can once again apply for MNP.
- If you like you can also retain the technology that you are using. For example, present CDMA to new CDMA operator or present prepaid to a new prepaid operator.
- If you are a prepaid customer, then use all the balance before applying for mobile number portability. This is because all the balance becomes unusable once you change your service provider.
- If you are thinking that you can change your service provider even if you have existing dues. Then, think again because your application to do so will get rejected. Pay all the bills and apply for MNP.
- As I said, one has to pay Rs. 19 to avail this facility. Not a hefty amount though.
- The process should take at the maximum 7 days. TRAI has made it mandatory for operators to make the process hassle-free for customers. One such thing is that your number will only dead for about 2 hours, that too, at the nighttime.
- Always give thorough considerations and then decide to avail this facility. Wrong choices will further aggravate your problem.
One trick that I would like to give here if you are not satisfied with your present operator. Then call up the customer service number and tell the representative that you will change the operator and cite your problems. This may work, may not work. Just give it a try, you waited so much time, wait some more time and see if it works.
If you have made your mind to change your present operator to any other operator then follow this steps.
A Happy Customer - Courtesy Mobile Number Portability
Which one is your preferred telecom operator?
© 2011 Kannan Reddy