- Computers & Software»
- Computer Buying Guides»
- Notebook & Tablet Buying Guide
New Macbook vs Surface Pro 3 - Surface Rules!
Apple did something crazy!
Apple rolled out a thinner, lighter and a brand new Macbook model - not Pro, not Air. Its name is just Macbook. Within hours, fans of Apple products were blasting out in Twitter and Facebook, mostly disappointed with the ultralight notebook.
In May 2014, Microsoft released the third generation of its Surface Pro laptop/tablet hybrid that was the most successful version. Surface Pro 3 was marketed heavily by comparing it with a Macbook Air. Now that Apple has released the new Macbook version, it is only fair that we should compare it to the SP3.
First things first, what you get with the new Macbook
The Good Stuffs of the new Macbook (2015)
- At just 13.1 millimeters, it is the thinnest Macbook ever
- 12 inches of a 2304 x 1400 retina display
- weight is just 2 pounds, still offers a full sized keyboard
- a very large touchpad that gives you a haptic feedback
- backlit keys
- easier to throw around the room like a frisbee
Price of the New Macbook
$1,279 for 256GB version
$1,589 for the 512GB version
But here's a catch, you will need to spend more!
The thing that baffled most of the customers is the "revolutionary" USB-C port. It is a technologically advanced port that does not let you charge any of your Apple device, or a mouse without buying an adapter on the side. We see what you did there, Apple. You pulled out a "Microsoft" by marketing a product as a standalone full laptop when it obviously needs accessories we are compelled to buy (the need of a keyboard for a Surface Pro tablet).
Apple has released a series of cable accessories for the new Macbook that started shipping from April 12.
- The USB-C to USB Adapter (costs $19): To charge one (yep, just one) device through a standard USB port.
- The USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter (costs $79): Lets you charge/hook up one device via a USB port and one via an HDMI cable. One extra USB-C port for charging the very Macbook itself.
Let's break all the cool stuffs down!
Surface Pro 3
Intel Core M
Faster, more powerful Intel Core i3, i5, i7
USB port, SD card slot?
Price for the 256GB model
Extra for accessories
$79 minimum, who knows how much more for an extra card reader, a VGA adapter and so on
only $129.99 extra and you got the best laptop tablet hybrid ever
Nothing has changed much on the Macbook side since this video was made
Surface Pro 3 for $130 less selling right now!
TechGiant is currently offering a 10% discount on this 256GB version of SP3. It normally costs $1299 and still costs that much when bought on the Microsoft Store. But on Amazon, it is selling for just $1,171.
And free Skype, free OneDrive, free Office 365 - I bet Macbook does not even come close.