One True Media- A Free Site to Make Your Own Photo or Video Montage
So you have just gotten back from vacation, and you have a ton of photos and video clips. For most of us, it takes months to load onto the computer, edit, print, and make into a photo album or scrapbook. Why not try your hand at making an online photo or video montage?
Simply put, it is a collection of photos and videos set to music, with a few added captions and some thematic styling. Once finished, you can upload to YouTube, a blog, Facebook, or other social sharing site. If you prefer to keep it private, you can purchase it on DVD for home viewing.
If you are not very adept with technology, no worries- this step by step guide will take you from beginning to end. One True Media is a free online software and tool that users will find easy to navigate. You will have a photo/video montage done in no time!
What the Finished Product Looks Like
Step One: Register with One True Media
1. Go to http://www.onetruemedia.com.
2. Follow the prompts and create a new account or link it with an existing Google account.
3. Now you are ready to start creating!
Step Two: Create a Video
You will need to upload all the photos and videos you want to showcase. OTM allows you to gather your material the following ways:
- Upload directly from your computer
- Link your Facebook account and pull pictures directly off of your wall
- Copy images from Flickr, a popular photo sharing site
- Pasting links of image URL's
For the purpose of this tutorial, we'll assume you are pulling material straight from your computer. You can upload BOTH photos and video clips, though it will take quite a bit longer if you have long videos and a slow Internet connection. Sometimes, I grab a whole bunch of files and set it to upload before I go out to run errands. When I come back, they are all uploaded and then it is time for the fun part- rearranging!
Step Three: Editing
Once you are done, a screen will pop up saying that the upload was successful. You will be taken to a page where all your images and clips are arranged according to the way you uploaded them. First you will have to arrange them in the sequence you would like. Are you going to go chronologically or according to the music lyrics you want to add? Think about the overall project, and then begin rearranging.
Overview of Editing
The screenshot below gives you the three most important tips.
1. If you want to reorder the material, use the display order box on the bottom right hand corner of each image.
2. If you want to remove material, click the remove button. You will be asked to check all the ones you do not like, and they will be removed. NOTE- You can retrieve them back again if you change your mind. You don't need to re-upload.
3. Clicking directly on an image will allow you to edit each individual photo or clip.
Editing a Particular Photo
Let's begin with the finer detail. Click on an image you want to edit.
- First you will see that you have the option to zoom in or out, plus rotate the photo (see the tools right under the picture).
- To the right, you will see four headings: properties, effects, transition, text.
- Each of those adjusts the photo and style. NOTE- Some options are set to premium, which means they are not available unless you sign up for a monthly subscription.
Here you can change the name of the photo, how it moves during the video (left to right, stationary, etc.), and how long it remains on that photo before transitioning.
When you click on this heading, you will see a drop down menu of categories. Let's say you are editing a vacation montage. Pick the one that says scrapbook. A bunch of options will appear that add a special effect to the photo. To see which one you'd like, click the one you would like and hit the preview button. You can see how it works with the photo.
This option lets you choose what happens as the slide is transitioning from one photo to the next. The same directions apply to this as the effects category. Pick an option and try a couple out.
Here you can add a caption, and change the font and color. This option may only be available for subscribed members. If you want to add a text slide, that is in a different location that we will discuss in a minute.
Make sure you hit save when you are done!
Editing a Particular Video Clip
All the same directions apply. OTM allows you to decide if you want the video to have sound or not. When you pick a piece of music, you can choose to have the music play only, music and video sound, or the music will fade so you just hear the video. Choices, choices!
The little orange button
The button right under the filmstrip allows you to clip the video if it is too long. Try to keep it short and sweet, as viewer's attention isn't long.
Step Four: Adding Text Slides
After you have edited each photo or video, click on save and it will take you back to the main screen. At the top of the screen (on the blue menu bar where the remove button is), you should see the option to add a text slide. Click on it and write in the text you want. It gives you options to put it at the beginning or the end.
What if you want it in the middle? No worries, just finish the text slide and hit save. Go back to the main screen and reorder the text slide in the middle with the little display order box.
Step Five: Now it is Time to Add Music!
So by now you have uploaded material, arranged it, edited it, and added text. Time to put music to your masterpiece. Look at the top of your screen (higher than the blue bar) and look for the white tabs that say Edit, Styles, and Music.
Click on music.
A side note: the style tab allows you to add a "style" to every slide without all the tedious detailed editing. The upside is the computer does the work for you, but the downside is it is often overwhelming with excessive effects that block the images. You can play around with it if you want. Anyway, back to the music slide.
Use Theirs or Add Your Own!
You will be taken to a screen with a bunch of lists. You can preview the song and add it to your project if you wish. But what if you want your own song that is not listed?
1. Click on the black menu bar where it says, "upload your own song". (by the way, OTM will save all your uploaded songs should you want to reuse it for another montage later).
2. You may choose up to three songs to upload. Find them on your computer and click the blue upload button.
3. You will see it up in the top lefthand corner of the music screen. It will tell you how long the song is and you will need to compare that to the length of your project. If you need more music, add more songs. If the song is longer than the montage, don't worry- it'll automatically fade the music.
Step Six: Preview and Sharing
Now you are almost finished! You should have music, text, slides, videos, and images. Preview your project and check for any last minute changes. Remember, you can change it at any time so don't worry if things aren't perfect. Hit the blue preview button!
Notice you are back at the main screen. A couple of last minute options:
1. If you want to change the image that represents the project, click on the bottom of the screen where it says Project Thumbnail.
2. If you want to change the title, click on change title at the top of the screen (it's small and orange).
Once you are satisfied with it, click on the large menu item which says SHARE. You will have options to post on Facebook, YouTube, and send it in an email. If you have a blog and you want to embed the code, those options are also available.
If you want to buy the DVD, simple click on the BUY button and follow the instructions.
Congratulate yourself. You just made a montage!