Online Security and Protection Guide
Do you know if you are using internet, your device is visible and accessible to the whole world? It is absolutely not the case that you will be available online only when you are browsing internet with any of the internet browsers such as Internet Explorer or Firefox.
If the internet connection in your device is turned on you are accessible to the whole world and when it is off you are offline and no one can access you directly. But indirectly you may be accessed with the help of hacking software, applications or even with the viruses and malware.
After setting up the Windows operating system, your primary task should be to take the precise steps in order to secure your computer.
First in the steps listed is not to use pirated or pre-cracked Windows ever because it is already hacked by one of the hackers and there is a big chance that this pirated copy has got preinstalled infected applications or hacking software. So always buy a genuine copy of Windows from the authorized vendor and keep yourself protected for good.
After you have bought, installed and register genuine Windows, activate its antivirus. Most of the users give a try to third party antivirus that is mcafee, bitdefender, avast, avg etc., but they pay no attention to the Windows free and built-in antivirus named Windows Defender. This antivirus is neatly managed by the Microsoft Security Lab and produces very efficient results. You just need to activate it once at the beginning by opening the app’s panel and updating its virus definition in the prior versions to Windows 10. In Windows 10 this is inherited. Also check the Windows Firewall is activated and you are all set.
Now you have genuine windows and an antivirus activated. You are now 50% secured means half of the security measures will be taken by your operating system and antivirus. Rest of the measures would be taken by you in your daily routines in order to be safe and secured.
- Never buy the local video or audio CD’s/DVD’s that have built in Video player or Music player. Most of them contain dangerous viruses. Always buy such types of CD’s/DVD’s from the quality vendors.
- Never buy or download cracked games or application as they certainly contain viruses and malwares
- Always download software or applications from the trusted download websites. Never download anything from the websites that are freely hosted such as blogspot.com (blogger), wordpress.com etc. Check the domain first whether it offers free webhosting or not.
- Never download from blackhat websites or websites that offer nulled downloads, they are hackers.
- Never use USB Flash Drive which is used with your device with any other devices. To copy files from another computer give priority to Bluetooth or networking as this is more secure way than USB drives. You can also use Microsoft OneDrive account to transmit the shared data if all of your devices have internet connection.
- Scan your computer regularly for viruses using your antivirus.
- Avoid using online games, lottery or pornography websites as they transmit dangerous viruses using your internet browsers.
Another step is securing your web browsers. In case you use Internet Explorer, head to Tools > Options. You will see the following screen. Select the 3rd tab – Privacy:
After selecting Privacy tab, the following screen will be presented. The sliding bar that is on the left allows you to choose from several general protection levels against cookies. It is advised to select Medium High level. You will also notice the Advanced button at the bottom. This will let you to allow or block exclusive websites from creating cookies on your PC’s hard disk. Adjusting the settings for cookies is merely one part of your privacy protection however this is really an important part. Perhaps you also need to make sure that you have checked the “Disable toolbars and extensions when In Private Browsing starts”:
Now if you are using Firefox as your web browser, the process is not varied. Select Tools > Options. The following screen will be seen:
Click on Privacy option and you will notice the following:
Here you may notice that there are various privacy settings available for you to choose that are self-explanatory. Clicking on Security tab you will notice the following:
I suggest you to choose High Security. Furthermore, I will allow first-party cookies only. Third-party cookies are disreputable for working in a way which violates privacy of a user. These simple steps just observed may go a long way with regard to help certainly for your privacy protection.
At last, if you want to automate the whole security process or having trouble in practicing the above suggestions, I recommend you to buy licensed Eset NOD32 antivirus product, which has all the built-in features required for your security and protection.
© 2019 Khurram Shehzad