- Consumer Electronics & Personal Gadgets»
- Portable Electronics
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Digital Camera
The New Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Camera
I've been a fan of Panasonic Lumix cameras since I bought my Lumix FZ28 a few years ago. For it's compact size, the Leica lens takes consistently great shots and videos in many lighting conditions.
Panasonic has just recently announced the brand new Lumix GX8, their latest micro four thirds mirrorless digital camera that has several big improvements over their popular GX7 model which came out two years ago.
A few of those updates include a slightly larger and more solid design, a Venus engine, a 20.3 megapixel sensor that can take shots with crystal clear detail in many lighting conditions thanks to it's Dual I.S. (image stabilization) and the ability to process RAW images in the camera.
In addition, the Lumix GX8 can take 4K video which is 4 times larger than full HD.
I've included a video in this Hub filmed with the GX8 by photojournalist Daniel Berehulak and the color and detail this camera is able to capture is quite impressive.
In this Hub, you'll find an overview of the Lumix GX8, a list of some of the improvements over the GX7 model, what comes with the camera, what additional accessories you might want to consider if you're buying this camera.
You'll also find a video review, a list of compatible lenses, links to sample images and more.
Highlights of the Panasonic Lumix GX8:
- Type: Digital Single Lens Mirrorless Camera
- 20.3 Megapixels
- 4K Video/4K Photo Capabilities
- 4K Creative Photo Modes: 4K Burst, 4K S/S (start/stop), 4K Pre-Burst
- Lets you extract 8-megapixel stills from 4K burst images
- Dual I.S. (Image Stabilization) Helps get clear shots in low light conditions without a tripod
- Lens Mount: Micro Four Thirds
- Hi-Resolution QFHD 4K video in 3840 x 2160 at 30p (60Hz) or 24p in MP4
- High shutter speed at maximum 1/8000 second
- Venus Engine Image Processor
- Wi-Fi and NFC (Near Field Communication) capable for connecting to smartphones or tablets for photo storage, sharing images or to control image settings.
- LCD can flip to the side, rotate 270 degrees
- Durable, rugged build - splash-proof and dust-proof design
- Available in all black or black with silver trim
Price: $1119.99 for body only
Available in mid-August 2015
*Can be pre-ordered now from Amazon.com, BandHPhoto.com, Ritz Camera and other photo retailers.
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 in Silver, Camera Body Only
Front View of the GX8
Improvements over the Lumix GX7
Here's what's better about the GX8:
- Bigger in size, better for people with larger hands
- More solid build and feel all around
- 4K Video
- Better in low light conditions with the 20.3MP Live MOS Sensor
- Can process RAW images in the camera
- Auto-tracking focus improved by 200% over the GX7
- Higher magnification electronic viewfinder and bigger eyecup
Who's this camera for?
- Someone who wants a high megapixel camera that can also shoot impressive 4K video
- A camera that takes clear handheld shots under low light conditions
- Needs a durable and rugged camera with dust and splash resistance
- Likes having a Wi-Fi and NFC-capable camera for easy sharing of images
A Video Review of the GX8 by Guilio Sciorio
What is a Mirrorless Camera?
“Mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, commonly referred to simply as ‘mirror less cameras’, are interchangeable lens camera that do not have a mirror reflex optical viewfinder.” (1)
Some advantages of a mirrorless camera:
- They can be used with a wide variety of interchangeable lenses.
- They tend to be lighter and smaller than DSLR cameras.
- They're usually quieter.
- Models with an electronic view finder (EVF) have a more accurate live preview of how what you’re shooting will look.
- You can use a mirrorless lens and many SLR lenses with a mirrorless camera too. Sometimes an adapter is needed, but there's no need to replace all your SLR lenses if you buy a mirrorless camera.
- Superior video quality makes them popular with filmmakers.
Front & Back Views of the GX8
Sample images taken with the GX8 by Mark Goldstein
Some Lenses for the Lumix GX8
Here's a list of some compatible lenses:
- Lumix G Vario 14-42mm Lens
- Lumix G Fisheye 8mm/F3.5 Lens
- Lumix G Vario 45-150mm H-FS45150 Lens for G Series Camera
- Lumix G Vario 100-300mm/F4.0-5/6/MEGA O.I.S. Lens
- Lumix G Vario 14-140mm/F3.5-5.6/ASPH. POWER O.I.S.
- Lumix G Leica DG Summilux 15mm/F1.7 ASPH
- Lumix G Vario 14-45mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH./MEGA O.I.S. Lens
- Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm/F2.8 ASPH. Lens
- Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm/F2.8 ASPH Lens
- Full 4/3 DSLR 25mm Lens
- Lumix G Vario 7-14mm/F4.0 ASPH. Lens
- Lumix G 20mm/F1.7 II ASPH. Lens
- Lumix G Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm/F1.2H-NS043 Lens
- Lumix G Micro 4/3 Leica DG Summilux 25mm/F1.4 ASPH. Lens
- Lumix G Micro 4/3 Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm/F2.8 ASPHMega O.I.S. Lens
- Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4.0-5.6/MEGA O.I.S. Lens
- Lumix G Macro 30mm/F2.8 ASPH. Lens with Mega O.I.S.-H
Making movies on the Lumix GX8
The YouTube video below by photojournalist Daniel Berehulak was filmed in Cuba with the Lumix GX8 to show the camera's professional video and photo capabilities.
Lumix GX8 Shooting Impression by Daniel Berehulak
The Lumix GX8 Comes with:
- Camera Body (does not include a lens)
- LI-ion Battery pack
- Battery Charger
- Body Cap
- USB Connection Cable
- Shoulder Strap
- Hot Shoe Cover
- Panasonic 1-Year Warranty
Additional GX8 Accessories to Consider:
- An extra battery: Uses DMW-BLC12 Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery
- SanDisk 64GB Extreme UHS-I Speed Class 3 SDXC Memory Card
- External Flash: Panasonic LUMIX DMW-FL360L External Flash or the less expensive Bolt VS-260OP Mini On-Camera Flash for Olympus/Panasonic Cameras
- The Panasonic VW-LED1 LED Video Light
- A/C Adapter
- Panasonic DMW-MS1 Stereo Microphone for Lumix Digital Camera
- Lens Adapters (needed to attach certain lenses)
- Panasonic DMW-RSL1 Remote Shutter Release (Remote Control)
My Lumix FZ28
Lumix GX8 Poll
Is the GX8 on your must-have list?
© 2015 carolynkaye