- Internet & the Web
Profitable Blog Basics
More and more people are turning to the Internet to supplement their income in these days of perpetual hardship, increasing living expenses and uncertainty. The fastest and certainly cheapest way to begin an online business is certainly the humble blog.
I have a confession.
I hate the fact that there are so many hardworking decent folk out there who are struggling to make ends meet from one week to the next. All the while there are these so called Internet "guru's" who are promising secret loopholes and magic software and dodgy backlinking schemes that are all designed to cheat the system, boost page rank and syphen off and magnetize thousands of dollars from "any" niche in the market. I hate it.
So I would like to dedicate this article to them.
=) (You'll see!)
"Free Website...Get Your Free Website"
That's right. We all know that those who do make a living online have websites...
Lot's of websites.
If you aren't already familiar with Blog's then you should be.
If you are familiar with content farms (or content sites/directories) like HubPages, Squiddo, EzineArticles GoArticles and the dozens of others then you will know the benefits of having your own webpages circulating on the Internet,
These content sites allow you add backlinks to your websites or blogs (and boost their page rank) as well as bringing in organic (free) traffic. What attracts many people though, is the oppurtunity to include things like the Amazon modules, eBay modules and find a small supplementary income from AdSense and affilaite advertising.
Now how would you feel if I said that you could have all of those benefits without having to share them with anybody.
That is the beauty of blogging.
You have your own webpages to advertise the way you like.
You have the benefits of backlinking and you can make a four, five evensix figure income with nothing but the sweat of your brow...er, I mean fingers.
So let's have a look at what you need to get started.
Listen Veeery Carefully
Profitable Blog Checklist
Dedicated to all the Internet Guru's driving around in their sports cars and holidaying in Aspen
Pay attention, bookmark (and share!) if you like. I am going to show you exactly what you need to do to get setup with a profitable blog of your very own. I am going to assume that you have
More Time Than Money.
That's cool, most of us do. This is a totally free way to get started.
- Open a new account with any free provider - Blogger (right click and open in a new window)
- Complete your profile details and take a moment to upload a photo
- Select a niche. My best tip? Don't choose a niche you know and love (you can chase you dreams later when you're rolling in money). Choose a niche that relates to a magazine you love. That's right. This is why: if there is a magazine (or lots of them) about your niche then you know it is profitable. Not just the editor but all the advertisers must be making money to pay big bucks for ad's...right?
- BUT! Give some thought to what products you will be advertising - you can't sell yacht's through a blog can you? And do a little research - make sure your niche is the type that buys and not just browses for info - like the recipe hunting niche.
- Name your blog something that is niche related.
- Take a few moments to customize your blog
- BUT! Don't get too distracted. Pick a page layout and a design that compliments your niche (or your personal preference) and leave it at that. Don't get all hung up on the "shiney things" - the fancy fonts or the special effects...you can worry about that later.
- Before making your first post you need to have a PayPal account. (Right click)
- Your next challenge - should you wish to accept - is to visit ClickBank - copy and paste ==> http://www.clickbank.com/promote_products.html
- You will need to provide Clickbank with lots of details including your new PayPal details
- Once signed up & logged into Clickbank, visit the Marketplace (in the top right corner of the screen) and type in a keyword that relates to your niche. Look for a product which will pay you well and has a high "Grav" (or gravity)
- Visit the sales page by clicking on the red title of the product you are interested in promoting and if you are happy, click on the Promote button
- Fill in your affiliate user name only (don't worry about tracking yet) and create your first affiliate link - also called a hoplink.
- Copy and paste these two links somewhere safe for in the future and don't forget to label them
- Now you are ready to head back to your blog and make your very first post - how exciting!
- If you need a few tips, then you should visit this post on my own blog
If you aren't a confident writer then that will really help get you to know those things. You will also benefit from posts like How long should my article be? and Blog your Butt Off are useful reads. Anyway, back to your list...
- Keep your first post simple. It's not your job to sell the product you're promoting. It's shouldn't read like one giant advert! Just write about something that is related to the topic.
- Add your affiliate links to the post
- aaaand PUBLISH!
You will have to repeat these last steps again and again and fill your blog with content. The more content you have the better your blog will rank with the search engines. There is also a very effective way of adding banners to your blog which will serve as permanent adverts.
You can use Google AdSense to monetize your blogs - I haven't come across anyone who was able to quit their day job with AdSense alone but it all adds up.
Where are you going from here?
Once you start seeing some regular revenue you take that money and you invest it into working smarter not harder - automated software, mailing lists, your own domain (web address) etc.
No point throwing your life savings into a website that is going to fail. If your free blog makes you some money, you can go ahead and start building backlinks, start an AdWords campaign and even a whole website around that blog. If it doesn't convert to sales then it hasn't cost you a cent - some sleepless nights...but your purse strings will thank you!
So I have just given you a huge,
Amount of information to try and wrap your head around. If you need any me to hold your hand and walk you through the process slowly...
This is only one of the recent posts I have made in my own blog called Mwah ha ha money (yeah, I know...weird name, but then I am a little weird myself!) and guess what?
You're all invited! This is a new project of mine but it's fast becoming my baby =)
It's my answer to all those "guru's" out there who got rich from selling their dodgy get rich quick schemes to people like us. In the coming weeks (and months) I am going to be absolutely stuffing it with every (legitimate) trick, technique and shortcut that I have ever come across in a detailed, easy to follow (sometimes step-by-step) manner.