QR Reader for iPhone Review
What is the QR Reader for iPhone App?
The QR Reader for iPhone app, available for free in the "App Store", scans in QR codes or UPC barcodes. The scanner works by scanning in the code through your smart phone's camera. Once the code is scanned in, the app will direct you to the URL of the QR (quick response) code or the product associated with the UPC (universal price code) barcode.
The increase in popularity of using QR codes has made a stronger demand for QR reading apps. This app in particular has additional features as well. Some of its features include a user being able to share information, create QR codes using multiple platforms, and efficiently organize and store the QR codes and UPC barcodes that have been scanned to reference for later use.
Please see the "QR Reader for iPhone App Important Information" section at the end of this article for additional information.
QR Reader for iPhone App Review
I recently switched from using the Barkodo app QR reader to the QR Reader for iPhone app. Although both apps allowed users to scan both QR codes as well as UPC codes, the QR Reader for iPhone app seems to process the scan quicker. I also like that you are able to file and share on multiple platforms anything you scan. The filing system is super easy to use and is great for keeping track of products you use often or want to remember to buy.
What I like the most about the QR Reader for iPhone app is the amount of different QR codes you can create. There are many creative QR code ideas that this can be used for. The QR Reader for iPhone app seems to have more bells and whistles than the Bakodo scanner. Although both scanners allow you to save scans to your scan history, the organizing and sharing options are better in the QR Reader for iPhone app.
I also really liked that in the QR Reader for iPhone app, you have the ability to scan and locate different products to do price comparisons. But, I was not impressed on how this feature functioned.The results from scanning multiple household items and grocery items UPC barcodes using the app were very inconsistent. None of the items populated all of the information categories (such as prices, details, related, recipes or nutritional facts).
Some items were even registered as completely different items. For example, a bottle of Mrs. Meyers hand soap was listed as an antique item. Other items like a box of whole wheat pasta, did not have a price list associated it with but did have the correct Google images associated with it.The results for the product listings may improve if the data is updated or if more univesal products are scanned.
"QR Reader for iPhone" App Vs. "Bakodo Barcode Scaner" App
QR Reader for iPhone
User Friendly Interface
Social Media Integration
Processing Speed of Scan
Scans UPC or QR Codes
Saves Scan History
Organizes Scan History
QR Code for iPhone App Menu Options
- Scan QR codes or any UPC barcode with the scanner
- Point the scanner at the barcode and the scanner will automatically prompt your phone to the URL of the QR code or information about the product
- After scanning a UPC barcode, you are able to view images of the product, price comparisons, a list of options to purchase the item online, and if applicable, nutrition and recipe information
- Stores QR codes or UPC barcodes you have scanned previously
- You are able to organize the different codes into files to create a QR storage file system
- The creator function allows you to create your own QR code from different settings
- The "Standard List" of options allows you to create a a unique QR code from a websites URL address or event a contact in your phone
- The "Special List" of options includes access to create a QR code for any of your social media profiles, the App Store, the Android, Market, a Medical ID, and even a QR code for your WiFi details to share with guests
"Scan & Share" Option
- Share aQR code or UPC barcode you scanned, or an entire code file you have created and saved in your history
- You are also able to share contacts, photos, apps, and songs from your phone as well as share money via PayPal through the share feature
- The share system generates a unique QR code for the item you want to share
- Once the QR code is created, the person you are want to share with uses their phone to scan the code (with a QR scanner app)
How to Create a QR Code for WiFi Information Instructions
- On the main menu, hit the "Creator" button (blue button with wrench icon)
- On the Creator screen, hit the "blue plus sign" button in the upper right hand corner (See IMAGE 1)
- On the Pick Type Screen, Scroll down through the standard pick types (IMAGE 2) to the special pick types (IMAGE 3). Hit the the "Wifi details" button
- Enter in your wifi information and hit the "create" button in the upper right hand corner (IMAGE 4)
- On the creator screen, click on the QR code icon that says WiFi (IMAGE 5)
- Hit the "rename" option and rename your wifi QR code and save. On the creator code, click on the new name of your QR code
- On the WiFi Details screen, hit the "file" icon in the upper right hand corner to file the QR code in the history section of the menu. On the move screen, pick a file to store the code OR hit the "blue plus sign" to create a new folder (IMAGE 6)
- On the wifi details screen, hit "share" icon (square with arrow pointed up) in the upper right hand corner. Select one of the apps that appear to share the icon
Rate the QR Reader for iPhone App
QR Reader for iPhone Important Information
- Tap Media Ltd.
Size and Version
- Version: 4.5
- Size: 33.2 MB
- A-K: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean
- L-Z: Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Requires iOS 5.0 or later
- Compatible with iPhone, iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad Wi-Fi (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi (4th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad mini Wi-Fi, iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPod touch (4th generation), and iPod touch (5th generation).
- This app is optimised for iPhone 5
Additional App Reviews
- Waze App Review
Waze Social GPS & Traffic app review and instructions how to integrate the Waze app into Google Maps. Android waze and iPhone waze available for free download.
© 2015 Mary Ellen Block