- Green Technology
If you have made the decision to recycle all of those cans, glass items, and plastics you may find that without recycling bins your kitchen is a mess.
Odd as it may sound, many people use that very excuse for not recycling materials. However, when you have the right products to help organize your recyclables it becomes an easy addition to your lifestyle. Recycling bins are no longer ugly boxes overflowing with trash. Today’s bins are made so that consumers can separate their items easily and attractively.
Look at the different styles to find exactly the right recycling bin for you and begin working with the environment instead of against it.
Types of Recycling Bins
Most cities recycle items according to three different criteria:
The best type of recycling bin is separated into three different compartments to make it easy for you to keep these items separated.
Other important details to look for in your recycling bins are:
- Is it easy to clean? Some materials, like stainless steel, may cost more but ultimately be easier to keep clean and smelling good.
- Does it have a lid? A lid will keep any odors in and bugs out.
- Does it have casters? The bin may get heavy and if it has casters it can be moved from place to place easily.
- Some bins have push pedals for hands free opening of the lid.
- Make sure the bins are large enough to hold recyclables for the week.
- Some bins stack vertically to save space.
- Some bins have color coordinated lids or decals to help you find the correct bin quickly.
If you have curbside recycling in your area then the recycling service will more than likely provide you with bins to fill and place at the curb. These are generally very utilitarian; open bins made of heavy plastic. The problem with open bins is that most people don’t want trash in an open bin in their homes. Keeping the bins in the garage is inconvenient. And, if you don’t have a garage the bins sit outside with papers blowing all over the neighborhood.
Do check with your recycling service, however, because many will not pick up recycling that is not in an approved container.
The Importance of Recycling
Everyone knows that it is important to recycle as many materials as possible. Having open plastic bins, cardboard boxes, and other makeshift containers sitting around in the kitchen, an area where food is prepared, is just not appealing. For many people, using these makeshift containers means that they will not continue to recycle for any real length of time due to the mess and inconvenience. In order to consistently be involved in recycling you need the right containers. Keeping it easy, keeping it neat, and keeping it organized will keep you involved.
Recycling is an important way to protect the environment. Investing in good recycling bins can make it easy.