Rehabilitation For Social Media Addicts
Signs That You May Be Addicted To Social Media
- Heads down in Your Smartphone not realizing that the traffic sign says do not cross yet walking right into an oncoming truck.
- Not realizing that you passed your floor on the elevator because you have your eyes glued to your phone screen catching the next IG post.
- Too lazy to do house chores because you are busy on social media all day.
- Causing an accident which claims the life of an innocent individual because you couldn't resist reading that last post.
- Developing sleep disorder because you have your phone on your pillow so nothing misses you because you are asleep.
- You phone battery dies and you get an anxiety attack.
- You forget your phone and half way through your journey you take two planes, two trains and a couple taxis to go get your phone.
- Your relationships are negatively affected by Social Media.
- You keep telling yourself you are not a social media addict even though people continue to tell you.
- Social media plays a huge influence on your Emotions and what people think about you.
- Constant looking at your phone wondering why it is not beeping.
- Constant looking at your phone screen even when no messages are in
- Become extremely anxious when you don't get a response from a post or message.
Social Media Junkies Should Know
Chances are that if you are affected by at least three of the signs of social media addiction which I listed above, you are getting to be an addict or have already become one. The difficulty with people admitting that they are a social media addict is that they believe it is just that, social media. They just see it as a means to connect with people from around the world, friends and families. But what they do not realize is that any activity which causes you Physical, mental and emotional stress but you keep on doing it because you simply cannot stop is an addiction. There are millions of people across the world today who have become addicted to social media. Their entire lives eventually become revolved around likes, shares live, Selfies, Videos, etc. The become so consumed into these type of technology that it is the technology which is now controlling them and not the other way around.
Social Media Addiction Suicide and Murders
According to the World Health Organization (WHO) Suicide is the number one cause of death worldwide. This means, when they make the count on other factors which leads to death such as accidents, murders, disease, old age, politics and so on. Suicide has averaged out much more. According to the W.H.O, in the year 2020, approximately 1.53 million people will die from suicide (Gvion & Apter, 2012). It also shows that this massive increase in suicide is influenced by using social media.Yes, suicide is highly influenced by the social media environment factors. (Givon & Apter 2012) Many have died because they could not keep their Fingers of the Send button.
The Head lines I am bout to list are real. They represent some very dark side of the power of social media and people who had become so obsessed with using the platform.
Middle-Aged Woman Seduces Teenage Boys With Fantasy Facebook Profiles, Then Kills Them Off
Man Kills His Friend for "Poking" His Girlfriend
Dad Murders Ex-Wife to Stop Her Child Support FB Posts
Wife Killed For Changing FB Status to Single
MySpace "Horror Core" Rapper Brings His Lyrics to Life
Being Grounded from MySpace Drives Teen to Shoot His Dad
Ex-Girlfriend Gets Murderous Over MySpace Photos
Woman Stabs Boyfriend for Being on Facebook All Day
Teen Killed over Twitter Beef
17 Year Old Kills Herself After Being Cyber Bullied
Man Kidnapped and Murdered Over Facebook Comment
The Addiction Ruined Lives
Many homes have been devastated because of people who become obsessed with social media. From people who get bullied into suicide, husbands who have divorced their wives, wives who have divorced their husbands, countless of Physical confrontations, people who suffer emotional distress because if the addiction or family member or friend who is just too deep into social media to notice anything else happening in the real world. Let me also remind you that online predators are also social media addicts. They use the platform all day to post fake status and pictures to lure innocent people to their demise. Social media addiction has caused people to loose their jobs and eventually even their homes. This is not just things I am pulling from my head to throw out to you, all these are factual and I implore you to do your own research.
Tips If You Believe You are Heading To Addiction.
Leave Your Phone at Home
- Yes, as horrible as that sounds it is a very potent way of not becoming hooked on social media. It is simple, no phone no social media.
Turn of Your Data
- All social media platforms must have internet connectivity to bombard your device with social media junk. Turn off your data and just receive and make calls with your phone. If you are using WiFi, just disable the WiFi and you are good to go.
Get Off Social Media
- If you believe you are on the brink of becoming addicted, get off social media immediately. Disable all your accounts and uninstall any social media app on your devices.
Do Outdoor Activities
- Go hiking, go camping, take up kayaking. Just do something positive with your time that you like
Social Media Rehabilitation Helps
When we hear the term rehabilitation. We begin to think people who are addicted to drugs. People who have probably gone through physical trauma and are recovering or people who are just too violent and are going through a whole new character building. But their is also a rehabilitation for social media and it is as similar as that of a person being rehabilitated for drug use. This means that whatever object, material, substance, item you are addicted to will be taken away and you will have to go through the process of coping or not needing these items anymore. A person who is being rehabilitated from social media will always be rehabilitation differently from a person who is drug addicted. Let me explain. A Drug addict will never be given the drugs he/she is addicted to while recovering. But a social media addict will probably have to have the device used to facilitate the social media addiction to help kick the addiction. Remember, even the doctor facilitating the rehabilitation is probably on social media and is using social media for his business or personal use. But the problem of social media addicts is not just using the platform, it is how often they do and how the platform influences them.
The Rehabilitation Process
- As with any addiction case, a proper assessment of the individual and their lifestyle will be done.
- You will be treated with respect, care and understanding while relating problems
- The facilitator will inform you of some of the processes of rehabilitation.
- You may go through a series of events such as not having your device for an entire day or two
- Having your device but controlled use.
You will definitely be introduced to other things, fun thing, natural things which you can do to fill the gap of over using your device for social media. You may be introduced to hobbies, games, outdoor activities etc. All these are good ways for not missing your online world.
One of the worst things to happen to anyone who had become rehabilitated is a relapse. This is where you become addicted again to whatever you got rehabilitated from. Relapse can even worst as person tend to go all out as a means to catch up on their lost days being addicted. But the good news is that you can always speak to a friend about your addiction and even walk into a rehab center and simply tell them you need help. Once you are serious and put out a even a little determination to get rid of your addiction, it will happen.
© 2017 Clive Williams