Solution for Display Problem on Desktop Computer Monitor and LCD Screen
The hallmark of any good Computer is a perfect display whether for LCD (Flat screen) or a regular monitor. Proffering Solution for display problem on desktop computer monitor is a succor for all computer users whether a PC or for corporate use.
It may be frustrating when there is no screen display, perhaps before you can employ the services of the experts in the field there may be some urgent works you need to attend to. This discourse present in its simplest form steps that will solve video disorder on a Desktop computer screen.
There are number of factors that could be responsible for no video display on the computer monitor screen. Some of these reasons can be corrected easily without the help of a computer technician. Others may require an in-depth troubleshooting. Necessarily the services of a technician may be required.
There are two types of desktop computer monitor display problems. These are when there is no display on the screen and when the display is blurred or a bad video. Repairing a bad video can be as tedious as a complete absence of video. It depends on the factors responsible.
I would like to approach this discourse for the sake of simplicity by sub-dividing it into primary and secondary troubleshooting in an attempt to proffer solution for display problem on desktop computer monitor and LCD screen.
A Blank Computer LCD Screen and a Cathod Ray Tube(CRT) Monitor
Solution for display problem on Desktop Computer Monitor and LCD Screen (Primary troubleshooting)
Display for desktop computers can be through a cathode ray tube (CRT), Liquid crystal display (LCD) and a projector as an extension. CRT monitor (like the regular TV set of the past) was the commonest before this dispensation but it is gradually been faced out. However the CRT monitor and the LCD (flat screen) are mostly used at homes and offices. projector is mostly for occasional use especially for presentations with a sizable number of persons in attendance.
The following checks should be made primarily:
- Check if the DB-15 cable (or whichever is applicable) is connected properly between the monitor and the computer. The DB-15 cable has fifteen pins outlets and nine for older computers. In some cases when the cable is unplugged and re-connected, the problem is solved.A confirmed working cable tested on another working computer can be use to authenticate that it is not a connection problem. Endeavour to use original and specified connecting cables, otherwise it can cause a colossal damage to the system.
- Confirm that the monitor is switched on. Off and on it again.
- Check settings of the monitor such as contrast, brightness and color. Sometimes it could just require settings adjustment especially if there is a faint image appearance on the screen.
- Ensure that the system is not on standby or sleep mode. The screen will go blank if on standby or sleep mode. It depend on the configuration of the system you may or may not be able to undo the sleep mode unless the system is switched off and on it again.
- Use a confirmed working monitor to authenticate whether the monitor in question is dead. If the system works with another monitor it means the monitor is faulty. It is advisable to change faulty monitor outright than to repair them because the cost of repair sometimes could almost buy a working one. This could also lead to repeated break down especially for CRT monitor.
- If the monitor is confirmed to be in a good condition, then other components inside the computer system have to be probed. This brings us to secondary troubleshooting.
Solution for Display Problem on Desktop Computer Monitor and LCD Screen(Secondary troubleshooting)
Display problem on computers is common place and it can go beyond a surface approach to finding the solution. In this context, secondary troubleshooting will involve opening up the computer or the screen (unscrewing it) if need be. It could also be a software issue.
If the primary troubleshooting discussed earlier is exhausted without finding a solution then these following steps should be taken:
- Check the RAM of the Computer: If the Computer RAM (Memory) is not well positioned or bad contact, it can affect display or bring about total absence of video. Remove the RAM, clean them before replacement.
I remember the first computer I bought when I was yet inexperienced in the field, displayed perfectly at the point of purchase, but lost video display in the course of transportation to my office. A comprehensive troubleshooting was carried out by a number of technicians all to no avail. But as soon as the RAM was cleaned and replaced by an individual with a higher experience, this brought about the long awaited solution. This technically called memory creep.
2. The Video card could be responsible: This is also referred to as the video adapter, the graphic card, graphic adapter etc. The video card is responsible for video display on the computer screen and it seldom has a hardware problem if well ventilated (heat sink) and the cooling fan is in proper shape. The reason is that it generates a lot of heat as a result of its function been an expansion card.
A working video card can be inserted into the system and if the display comes up, then the video card of the computer under repair should be changed. The DB-15 Cable slot has a link with the video adapter. It is pertinent to state that this may not be possible for onboard graphic card. Consequently the motherboard should be changed.
3. The Motherboard could be faulty: The computer motherboard is the most important part of the computer. However the motherboard circuitry could be faulty and perhaps disconnected circuitry. The best solution is to get it replaced.
4. Software related issues could be responsible: If a video card is changed perhaps with a different variant, there may be the need for system drivers update without which you may experience a blank or distorted screen.
5. The Screen resolution: When the screen resolution is higher than the monitor capacity. It will result to a blank or garbled screen. Check the maximum resolution for you monitor and make sure it is not set above it. You could confirm by booting your system from a safe mode. If discovered to be the factor responsible, it can be reversed to the appropriate screen resolution and this could proffer the needed solution.
Seeking for Solution for display problem for desktop computer monitor and LCD screen without giving cognizance to the foregoing may amount to a moribund expectation. This is the basic approach that has brought succor for many computer users. However, if you encounter greater challenge you may need to contact the services of an accredited Computer technician. Hope you find this useful as you put them into use.