Stop Spam on your Website
When it comes to stopping spam on your website Mollom's free spam-detection service is your best friend. According to their record, Mollom catches 99.91% of all spam attacks performed against their clients. Integrating Mollom's spam filter service into your website is quick and easy. Once done, you can sit back and relax rightfully expecting that you won't have to moderate your site any more.
At the moment, Mollom's service is available for websites running Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, Radiant, SilverStripe and StatusNet systems.
How Mollom Works
The purpose of Mollom's service is to detect and stop spam comments on websites. When a website using Mollom's spam-detection service receives a comment, it sends the comment to Mollom's server for analysis along with several information about the commenter including IP address and email address.
Based on several features in the text, Mollom then decides if the comment is spam or not and acts accordingly. All spam are blocked, non-spam are verified and displayed on the website. If Mollom is not sure whether the actual comment is spam or not, it will display a video as well as audio captcha for the commenter.
Is Mollom a trustworthy company?
Yes. The Mollom project was created and is maintained by Dries Buytaert, the founder and project leader of the Drupal content management system.
How to Use Mollom
- Go to Mollom's download page and grab the Mollom plugin for your system.
Mollom plugins are available for Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, Radiant, SilverStripe and StatusNet systems. You can also find developer libraries for Java, PHP5, Ruby, Python, Perl, ColdFusion, .Net, Zend Framework and IIS/ASP.
- Upload the plugin to your webserver using an FTP client.
- Create an account at Mollom.com quick and easy and grab the public and private keys provided by the system.
- Activate the Mollom plugin on your site and in the configuration options enter the two keys. There is no need to play around with configuration as the default settings usually serve you well.
You're Done. Now your website is protected from spam by Mollom's service.
Why Use Mollom
People who run their own websites are well aware that once it is found and targeted by spammers they are in for a bit of content moderation. Mollom is aimed at giving you back your precious time to spend it on more worthwhile tasks. Mollom is useful for anyone who has ever encountered spam on their websites.
Mollom also gives us a few facts about the world of spam. According to their website:
- On an average day, 90% of all messages are spam.
- About 250,000 spam attempts were blocked on average each day in the past two years.
- 811,238 spam messages were blocked on 04 Aug 2009 (93.2% of all the messages processed that day).
- Nearly 20,000 websites are protected by Mollom worldwide.