How to Sync Google on BlackBerry Phones
BlackBerry Google Apps
If you're a Net-savvy business owner that uses a BlackBerry smartphone for your business, chances are very good that you use at least a few of Google's services to help run your small business. Here's a guide to sync Google on BlackBerry phones and use all its versatile, useful services right on your phone.
Google has many hosted applications that are useful to BlackBerry business and enterprise users.
- Google itself, the renown search platform;
- GoogleDocs, its hosted productivity suite;
- Google Voice, the VOIP contender;
- Google Calendar for reminders and events;
- Google maps for finding directions to and from locations;
- GoogleReader, the wonderful RSS reader;
- GTalk, the popular IM Chat client;
- Gmail, of course - one of the most popular email platforms on the Internet.
With a little tweaking and a little know-how, you can get all of Google's services on your BlackBerry for free.
Google for BlackBerry
The Google Mobile App for BlackBerry allows you access to Google's powerful, famous search platform right from your phone. It's free and easy to add using these step-by-step instructions
- Point your BlackBerry web browser to http://m.google.com/search
- Follow the instructions for downloading the Google Mobile App onto your BlackBerry.
- Reboot your phone if prompted to do so.
This application turns Google's powerful search functions onto all of your BlackBerry's data. Once it's successfully downloaded and set up, you will not only be able to search on Google using your voice, you'll also be able to use voice commands to search through e-mails on your BlackBerry, your Google contacts, your Google search history, and even look for other businesses near you.
Best of all, you'll also be able to open and work with the full suite of productivity tools such as Google Docs using this application right on your BlackBerry. It's a must-have app for your BlackBerry, and it's completely free.
Gmail on Your BlackBerry
Download the Gmail client for BlackBerry on to your BlackBerry smartphone.
- Visit http://www.gmail.com on your BlackBerry's browser. The browser will automatically take you to the mobile version of the Gmail web site.
- Follow the instructions to download Gmail for BlackBerry onto your phone.
- Add your Gmail account details by clicking the menu button and selecting "Accounts."
This is app not strictly necessary if all you want to do is check your incoming Gmail messages on your BlackBerry. You can add any and all Gmail accounts to your BlackBerry email as you would any other email account. However, you will not be able to access all of the features of your Gmail account such as starred conversations, folders and labels.
Without the BlackBerry Gmail app, you will also not be able to search through your Gmail history on your BlackBerry phone. The Gmail BlackBerry client allows full access to all the features of your Gmail account on your BlackBerry phone.
BlackBerry Google Maps
BlackBerry comes with its own native maps and location application, but if you prefer Google Maps, you should download Google Maps for BlackBerry.
Google Maps allows you to search for the locations and contact information of local businesses, as well as get directions to and from virtually any address in the world, either for walking, public transit or by car.
Download the free BlackBerry Google Maps App by doing the following:
- Visit http://m.google.com/maps on your BlackBerry's web browser.
- Follow the on-screen instructions for downloading the application.
- Though each BlackBerry model will have slightly different menu commands, generally you will be able to access this application by opening your downloads folder in your BlackBerry's menu screen.
Google Voice for BlackBerry
If you use Google Voice for your business, you need to download and install the BlackBerryGoogle Voice App.
- Visit http://m.google.com/voice on your BlackBerry.
- Follow the instructions for installing Google Voice onto your phone.
- Access the app from your "Downloads" folder on your BlackBerry.
- Customize it to your account by pressing the menu button next to the track pad, and selecting "Options."
You'll be able to to make calls, send text messages, and receive transcribed voice mails as email messages all on your BlackBerry phone for free using Google Voice for BlackBerry.
This can be a real money saver if you have unlimited web usage, but not unlimited texts or talk minutes; the texts and talk time on Google Voice don't count toward your monthly quota, since it's all done over your BlackBerry's Internet connection.
Totally Sync Google With BlackBerry
You can set up your BlackBerry phone to automatically sync all of your Google contacts and Google calendar events with your BlackBerry contacts and calendar by downloading Google Sync for BlackBerry.
- Visit http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/ on your phone's web browser
- Select Google Sync for BlackBerry. If you visit this URL on a regular computer browser, you will be able to see a demonstration video that shows you how Google BlackBerry syncing works.
- Follow the setup instructions after download to add your Google accounts information.
Your Google calendar and contacts will automatically sync with the corresponding applications on your BlackBerry. I set mine to synchronize once per day; you may choose to have yours synchronize more or less often, depending on your needs and preferences.
With Google Sync for BlackBerry, you'll be able to enter events, reminders, and contact details with a full-sized computer keyboard, which can make the process much faster than if you were to enter all your contacts with a puny thumb-killing cell phone keyboard. You'll also have no need to re-enter your Google Contacts information onto your BlackBerry, nor will you need to populate your BlackBerry contacts - it'll all get ported from Google. How cool is that?!