- Internet & the Web»
The Importance Of Marketing A Blog
With such a huge variety of blogs, articles and products now available on the web, it can be difficult to get seen. Many people decide to break into blogging, but soon become disheartened when they don't get the traffic, and income, they expected.
The fact is there is no such thing as overnight success and a professional blog needs to be treated as a business just like any other, including marketing!
What Is Marketing?
Marketing in general, are the strategies you use to get others to take action. Normally marketing has the purpose of encouraging people to spend money on businesses, products or services.
The actions vary in time, cost and effect. It can be as simple as word-of mouth, or as complicated as social campaigns or events. Those who are masters of marketing are very good at selling you a product without you even knowing it.
For blogs, marketing isn't necessarily just used to get sales. As an online writer you are probably looking for ways to grow your blog following to:
- meet more like-minded people
- get more traffic to increase ad-revenue
- increase your email subscription list, eventually leading to selling third-party or your own products.
- gain awareness for your work or cause.
More Blogging Hubs..
- How To Develop Your Professional Blog Brand
Take your blog from a hobby to professional by giving it proper brnading, using these simple tips
- Choosing What to Write About on a Blog
A quick guide on choosing what to write on your blog
- How To Start A Blogspot Blog
You can be blogging in less than 10 minutes and for free with Blogspot and this easy tutorial.
- Where To Blog- Blogger vs Wordpress
Blogger and Wordpress are the two top choices for blogging...but which one is better? Here's a list of Pros and Cons for both.
Blog Marketing Techniques
As mentioned, marketing can be as simple or complicated and as cheap or expensive as you wish. Thankfully there are many options open to bloggers nowadays, including~
- Networking with other blogs
- Guest Blogging
- Social Networking
- Business Cards
- Banner Advertising
- Printed Advertising
- Videos (Youtube)
Why You Need Marketing
I've met many people who tried starting a blog or business and couldn't understand why they weren't getting any traffic, activity or sales. When asked what marketing they have most reply along the lines of 'Well I post on Facebook now and then'. But let me ask you this~
How can people read your work, comment or buy from you if they don't know about you?
There are now over 170 million blogs online. Yes, some people may find you through Google if you have good Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), but otherwise you cannot rely on people to just find you. Tell everyone who you are and why they should come and visit your blog. Encourage readers to stay, read more of your work and to share with their friends as well. Be proud of your blog and have a clear identity for it. The sharper your blog brand, the more people will sit up and take notice of you.
Most bloggers have little to no marketing whatsoever. You have to actively go out and find readers for your blog. But marketing is about more than just getting traffic. Readers are looking for solutions to problems. This is your chance to help them, make friends/associates and build a reputation as an expert in your field. Marketing gets people used to seeing you around, which in turn builds their trust in you with brand awareness.
Marketing Tips and Tricks
If there's one thing I've learnt after being self-employed for over thirteen years, it's to keep things simple! This includes marketing.
- Start with methods you feel most comfortable with, but be prepared to learn new things.
- Don't automatically put your life savings into the types of marketing you see others doing.
- Do thorough research and make informed decisions.
Choose three methods of marketing and stick with them for at least 30 days. Then review the effects of the last 30 days work and make adjustments accordingly.
- If a marketing method is producing good results keep it, if it hasn't worked replace it with another.
- Always keep at least three different methods on the go though. It could be as simple as networking on Facebook, Twitter and handing out business cards to people you meet, or you may prefer to try your hand at adverting through Google. Just make sure you are actively working all three every day, otherwise it's not really making use of them.