Tips to Choosing Your Domain Name
Get The Name Right
When you obtain yourself some web hosting, one of the things that you are going to have to think about is how you are going to name it. The name you give your web is the name of your website. Therefore, you want to make sure it's the best name that you can pick out of those still available.
With every day that passes it seems a harder task to find a domain name that is unique, catchy and appropriate. The cost of a domain name is a fraction of what it used to be 12 years ago and this has enabled domain name sitters to purchase in bulk and sit on the names or to pop them on holding advertiser pages.
Here are some tips that I hope will help you in choosing the best names there are for your new website.
- Watch the length - The first thing is that you want to watch the length of your web hosting name. Now, they will tell you that you can have up to sixty seven characters. However, for the sake of your clients, you don't want to make this lengthy. You want it to be easy to remember so shorter is always going to be better.
- Generic names - Another thing is that you want to stay away from generic or brand names. This is because you have to make sure when you are doing web hosting, no one else has that sort of name. This way, you stay away from that as many people choose generic names.
- Hyphen or not - Some will say to put a hyphen in it. This gives you an advantage as many might not think of this and if it's something that is common, you can make it quite uncommon. However, there is one downside to do this. This downside would be that if you go about and hyphenate it, many won't remember to put the hyphen in there.
- Be unique - It should also be unique, creative, but also non confusing. So many people like a name, but it has nothing to do with what the site is about. Think about this when you are getting your web hosting name as you are then stuck with this. This is something that many people don't plan and it can really help you or hurt you.
- Check spelling - Make sure you get the spelling right, double and triple check that you have spelled it right before proceeding with a purchase. I have seen so many typo names it is unreal.
- Com or co.uk - Many will say only go for a .com, I disagree. If you reside in the UK and your name is UK specific (for example a cleaning company) then there is nothing wrong with the .co.uk version if the .com has already been taken. As to which is better .org or .net there are very divided opinions.
- Plural or not - Other things you might do to get the domain name if the domain, which you are looking for is taken is using the plural form or specializing it with my or the (example www.mywebsite.com). While you can do this, you have to promote it in a way that people remember to put the word 'my' at the front of the url.
Hopefully you will keep a few of these tips in mind while looking for a new domain name. Many people don't give the domain name choice an awful lot of thought, if you do then it could be the edge you need in an ever competing online market place.