- Computers & Software»
- Computer Buying Guides
Top 7 Best MacBook Pro Accessories (2018)
For sure an Apple notebook is an awesome device all by itself, but there are also many fantastic accessories out there that can enhance and maximize your portable computer experience.
Whether you are buying the accessories for yourself, or as a gift for family and friends, it is always essential to be aware of the best options out there.
Some accessories are about improving your laptop's appearance, others are about practicality, or functionality, while some are purely for fun. Many products achieve all four.
The 7 Best MacBook Pro Accessories
Here are my selections.
- iPearl mCover
- The Apple Magic Mouse
- This Seagate Backup Plus External Hard Drive
- BESTEK 10"-15" Laptop/Notebook Cooling Pad
- Some cool decals
- The Moshi PalmGuard
- The iKlear Complete Cleaning Kit
I discuss and explain my selections in more detail below.
1. iPearl mCover Case: Stylish Protection From Bumps and Scratches!
A new case serves two main purposes.
- Firstly, it is a great way to customize your MacBook Pro and improve its appearance according to your needs and desires.
- Secondly, a case can protect your Apple laptop from bumps and scratches.
In my experience, the best hard case, the iPearl mCover is lightweight and easy to snap on or off, as required. Ergonomically designed, the case also has retractable feet, which can be used to provide extra stability when typing.
The cover won't block access to the notebook's ports and features. Neither will it inhibit the vents, keeping the notebook's air cooling system operating unhindered.
The iPearl mCover is available in various sizes and there are versions for both the unibody and retina display laptops. A choice of colors allows you to pick your favorite.
2. Apple Magic Mouse: Ultimate Comfort and Control!
The Apple Magic Mouse is a unique piece of design innovation that incorporates cutting-edge laser technology, giving it performance levels that are 20 times that of a conventional, optical mouse.
The Magic Mouse is multi-touch with tiny sensors that detect even the smallest of movements, making it quick and accurate to use. It also incorporates Bluetooth technology.
Powered by two AA batteries, the sleek appearance of this mouse means that it also makes an excellent aesthetic match for the MacBook Pro.
MacBook Pro Timeline
The first MacBook was introduced to the world in January 2006.
The popular Apple notebook is currently available with 13 and 15-inch screens. In the past, there was also a 17-inch version.
The 2nd version of the Pro debuted in 2008 and was known as the "unibody" because the casing was made from a single block of aluminum. The first Pro with a 13" screen also debuted at this time.
The 3rd generation was released in 2012, starting with the 15-inch version. These Pros had the retina display.
3. Seagate Backup Plus External Hard Drive
An external hard drive is an excellent investment for a number of reasons.
- First of all, you can use it to back up data on your Apple laptop.
- Secondly, the great thing about a hard drive is its portability, making it an effective way to carry and transport digital data around.
- Thirdly, a hard drive gives you more storage options and you are not limited to keeping everything on the laptop's hard drive.
This Seagate Backup Plus 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive for Mac is reliable, affordable, and can store up to 1TB of digital data. It is formatted for Mac use out of the box and fully compatible with Time Machine software. Connection options are multiple; this versatile drive is compatible with USB 3.0, USB 2.0, Thunderbolt technology and Firewire 800.
The Seagate portable hard drive is also available in 500 GB and 2 TB sizes.
4. BESTEK 10"-15" Laptop/Notebook Cooling Pad: Prevent Overheating!
All laptops, no matter how well they are built, are prone to overheating, unfortunately. This is especially true if you use them for especially taxing tasks such as gaming.
The BESTEK cooling pad incorporates powerful dual fans to keep your machine cool. There are six-level adjustable heights to maximize viewing comfort and satisfaction.
For more options, see my top 5 MacBook Pro cooling pads (13-inch).
The Symptoms and Causes of Laptop Overheating
All laptops have the potential to overheat. Common symptoms of overheating are:
- The laptop feels hot to the touch on its underside.
- The fan seems to be working more often and much harder than it used to.
- The machine closes down unexpectedly (it will do this to protect the processing chip if it feels that overheating is becoming critical).
The commonest cause of overheating is fluff building up in the vents. This can often be cleared by blowing compressed air into the vents with an aerosol. If the problem is more serious, the laptop may need to be opened up and manually cleaned.
To prevent overheating, you should consider the following.
- Not using the machine on surfaces such as carpets, where the fan can suck in fluff.
- Buying a cooling pad to keep the heat created by the machine dissipating.
5. Cool Decal
Customize and brighten up your Apple with a cool decal. As well as giving your laptop a new look, decals can also protect your laptop from the damage caused by minor bumps and scratches.
There are plenty of choices out there when it comes to Apple MacBook stickers. From Iron Man to Snow White to famous children's books, there is something for everyone.
6. Moshi PalmGuard
The Moshi PalmGuard is an excellent product for discerning Apple owners who want to preserve the look and feel of their laptop's palm rest area.
Basically, it sheaths the palm rest against grease, dirt, scratches, stains, color fade, and general wear and tear over time, preserving the MacBook's original look and condition for longer.
The Moshi PalmGuard is a sleek, semi-rigid film that has been designed to match the Apple laptop's look and feel. It comes bundled with a trackpad protector and is very easy to install. If you ever decide to remove it, no messy residue is left behind.
7. iKlear Complete Cleaning Kit: Maintain The Look and Feel of Your Machine!
The iKlear Complete Cleaning Kit is ideal for use with an Apple laptop and doesn't contain alcohol and ammonia. It works well for cleaning both the laptop screen and the body.
The kit includes two bottles of the cleaning solution. You also receive a large micro-chamois cloth. When cleaning, it's best to spray onto the cloth before wiping, rather than directly onto the screen.
Also included: an anti-microbial cloth, a micro-fiber terry cloth (great for polishing the screen, once you've wiped it clean with the mini-chamois and spray), and 12 travel wipes.
© 2014 Paul Goodman