- Consumer Electronics & Personal Gadgets»
- Portable Electronics
Ultra Lightweight Tripods - Seriously lightweight tripods for backpacking and travel
Ultra Lightweight Tripods
GorrilaPod - small, compact tripod
These tiny tripods can slip into your pocket or camera case
Recently I was researching a lightweight tripod for a photo shooting trip in Yellowstone National Park. I didn't plan on being too far from the car so I was looking for a light tripod but a usable one. Nothing too tiny. But there are times when I'm hiking in the back country without a bulky tripod and I wish I had something to rest my camera on for taking self portraits or group shots.
There are a lot of sub-mini or micro tripods on the market. Here are some of the best ones I've found. Caution: Most are designed for compact point and shoot cameras. I wouldn't trust my new Panasonic Lumix G2 and a large lens on one of these, but they all would fix easily inside my LowePro SlingShot compact camera bag.
- The Sunpak Mini-Spider Tripod weighs less than two ounces and holds holds compact 35mm and digital cameras with individually adjustable, flexible legs.
- Dolica WT-1003 67-Inch Lightweight Monopod - sometimes you just need a mono pod especially for sports. This best value in its class monopod is sturdy and well constructed and comes with a carrying case. You might consider adding a ball head.
- Pedco UltraPod is only 1.7 ounces - its a small, convenient tripod that can be taken and used anywhere. Its 3 legs offer a stable base for small cameras, and the strap allows you to attach the UltraPod to a fence, rail, or tree.
- XShot Pocket Extender - This device allows you to be included in the picture by extending your reach. You can also use it to take pictures or videos over a crowd. So compact it fits in your pocket.
- Pedco Clamp - With this 6 oz clamp you can turn a fence, pole or car into a tripod.
- GorillaPod - GorrillPods are flexible tripods that can be used as a traditional table top tripod or you can wrap the legs around a pole or tree branch.
- The Silk Mini series are small table top tripods that offer all of the features you'd see in a full sized tripod like fully tilting heads and stead legs. Smaller, compact and secure for your heavier cameras.
- Of course there is always the ultimate in portable tripod - the Bottle Cap tripod. See video below.
Silk Mini II Tripod
Digital Camera Links
User review with photos and images of the Panasonic Lumix 20 mm Micro Four Thirds pancake lens.
- Going for Bokeh - Creating professional looking shallow depth of field photographs
How to get shallow depth of field photographs known as Bokeh.
- LowePro SlingShot Camera Bag Review - Over the shoulder, ready to go
The over the shoulder camera bag from LowePro is packed with features without being bulky.